Five Famous Blue Diamond Stakes Winners - How do we narrow it down?
- The Group One Blue Diamond Stakes is Melbourne's premier two-year-old race
5. Reaan (2008)
4. Bel Esprit (2002)
- Bel Esprit was sent around as a popular even money elect and made had a perfect record of five wins from five starts when saluting in the Blue Diamond Stakes.
- He earned over $2 million in prize money from eight career wins which included two at Group 1 level with AFL legend figure Kevin Sheedy enjoying the spoils as a part-owner.
- In the breeding barn, Bel Esprit is most famously known as the sire of the champion sprinter Black Caviar.
3. Sepoy (2011)
- Sent around as a $1.40 favourite following two dominant performances in the Preview and Prelude, Sepoy didn't let his supporters with a four and a quarter length victory in the 2011 Blue Diamond Stakes.
- He became the fourth (and last) two-year-old to complete the Blue Diamond/Golden Slipper double and added two more group one victories later in the year via the Manikato and Coolmore Stud Stakes.
- Sepoy was the shortest priced winner and the first favourite since Alinghi in 2004 to take out the Blue Diamond Stakes.
2. Miracles Of Life (2013)
- One of the more popular Blue Diamond wins was the tiny filly who was brought across from Adelaide by trainer Dan Clarken following two huge wins at Morphettville.
- Lauren Stojakovic was still an apprentice jockey rider when trusted to stick with Miracles Of Life in Melbourne and rewarded connections with a terrific ride in the 2013 Blue Diamond Stakes.
- Moving under the care of Peter Snowden later in her career, Miracles Of Life bowed out of racing with a win in the 2015 Group One Robert Sangster.
1. Redoute's Choice (1999)
- Racing in a competitive era, Redoute's Choice won round one of his dual with Testa Rossa when winning the 1999 Blue Diamond Stakes and did it again at Group One level via the Caulfield Guineas later in the year.
- Going around as an 8/1 chance in the Blue Diamond Stakes in only his second ever race start, Redoute's Choice pulled away late for an easy two length victory.
- Was a hugely influential stallion post-racing, having sired thirty seven individual group one winners and also was a "sire of sires" with Snitzel, Not A Single Doubt and recently, The Autumn Sun all being top commercial stallions.
Blue Diamond Stakes FAQ
Who won the 2020 Blue Diamond Stakes?
Tagaloa won the 2020 Blue Diamond Stakes.
Who's ridden the most Blue Diamond Stakes winners?
With 4, Dwayne Dunn has ridden the most Blue Diamond Stakes winners.
They were all in succession from 2005 to 2008.
Who's trained the most Blue Diamond Stakes winners?
With 5, David Hayes has trained the most Blue Diamond Stakes winners.
His last win in this race came in 2008 with Reaan.
Has any horse won the Blue Diamond and Golden Slipper?
Yes, a total of four horses have won the Blue Diamond and Golden Slipper double.
Manikato (1978), Bounding Away (1986), Courtza (1989) and Sepoy (2011) are to horses that have achieved this feat.
How much is the Blue Diamond Stakes worth?
The Blue Diamond Stakes is worth $1.5 million in total.
$900,000 goes to the winner.