• Home
  • Racing News

Saturday Track Reports October 3 - Five Metro Meetings

Editor
Last updated: Fri 02 Oct 2026 12:46

This comprehensive track report reviews current racing conditions at five major Australian racecourses for October 3, 2026. Significant rainfall has created a Heavy 9 track at Flemington, posing major concerns for race-day safety and logistics, with possible further rain forecast. Kalgoorlie and Eagle Farm are rated Soft 5 and expect fine weather, while Murray Bridge moved to Soft 6 after overnight rain, and Royal Randwick currently sits at Good 4 but could see rain and thunderstorms. The key recommendation: Monitor weather and official updates closely as conditions may alter ahead of racing.

Bets.com.au Staff 1 hour ago
Share this article
Or copy link
  • Five metro meetings covered in Saturday’s Track Reports
  • Flemington rated a Heavy 9 after a major Friday deluge
  • Official updates from Flemington, Murray Bridge and Randwick
  • Latest ratings and local forecasts ahead of race day
tracks

Five major Saturday meetings come under the microscope as changing weather adds another layer to race-day conditions.

Our latest Track Reports cover Eagle Farm, Flemington, Kalgoorlie, Murray Bridge and Royal Randwick, with current ratings, surface information, local forecasts and official racecourse updates.

Track ratings correct as of 9pm Friday, October 2, 2026.

Eagle Farm Track Report

Current Track Conditions

Overall Rating
SOFT 5
Rail
+4.5m
Irrigation
4mm last 24hrs / 30mm last 7 days
Rainfall
Nil last 24hrs / 6mm last 7 days
Weather
Fine
Local forecast: Mostly fine conditions are expected around Brisbane, with no significant race-day rainfall signal and temperatures in the high 20s.
Weather gauged from: Eagle Farm, QLD — Eagle Farm Racecourse area — Bureau of Meteorology forecast, checked Friday evening.

Flemington Track Report

Current Track Conditions

Overall Rating
HEAVY 9
Rail
+9m entire circuit
Irrigation
Nil last 24hrs / 7mm last 7 days
Rainfall
52mm last 24hrs / 58.6mm last 7 days
Going Stick
8.4; Inside 8.3; Outside 8.3
Shear
11.2
Weather
Raining
Local forecast: Another very wet day is forecast. The Melbourne-area forecast has a 100% chance of showers and 10–30mm possible, with a thunderstorm possible during the morning and afternoon. Southeasterly winds are expected to turn southerly during the afternoon.
Weather gauged from: Flemington, VIC — Flemington Racecourse area — Bureau of Meteorology forecast, checked Friday evening.

Official Track Manager Comments

The heavens have opened. We’ve had 51mm and counting, and that’s all fallen in the last 24 hours. It’s a total of 57mm for the week, so plenty of rainfall, and we’re on a Heavy 9 as of Friday morning.

The rail for tomorrow’s meeting is in the nine-metre position. That’s our traditional spot for Turnbull Stakes Day, protecting the inside for Cox Plate and Melbourne Cup week and protecting that ground.

With the big fields, I’d expect it’ll be a genuine heavy track and they’ll use plenty of the track.

Tomorrow morning, quite heavy rain is forecast in the early hours, between 5am and 10am. After that, there’s still a lot of uncertainty as to whether that eases off or whether it lingers around during the day. Hopefully that can clear away in the early part of the morning and we can get away with a clear race day.

We’ll get in early and inspect the track as normal tomorrow morning. We’ll get the stewards in as well, just in case that heavy rain is around and the track is unsafe.

We’ll be in close contact with the Bureau just to get a clearer picture of how the rest of the day may unfold, because if we do get heavy rain in the morning and it does clear off, I’d be confident that we can race during the day. But if it does stay around, it may be an issue for the running of the races.

The track presents in great condition. It recovered well from Makybe Diva Stakes Day and, with the rail pushed out, there’s nice, clean ground right across the track. So although it’s very heavily rain-affected, I’d expect it to race well given the conditions we’ve had over the last 24 hours.

— Liam O’Keefe, Flemington Track Manager, via Victoria Racing Club release Friday at 2pm

Kalgoorlie Track Report

Current Track Conditions

Overall Rating
SOFT 5
Rail
True
Irrigation
Nil
Rainfall
Nil last 24hrs / 66.4mm last 7 days
Penetrometer
6.90
Weather
Fine
Local forecast: Cloudy and cool, with a forecast maximum around 19°C.
Weather gauged from: Kalgoorlie, WA — Kalgoorlie-Boulder Racing Club area — Bureau of Meteorology forecast, checked Friday evening.

Murray Bridge Track Report

Current Track Conditions

Overall Rating
SOFT 6
Rail
+3m 1200m chute; +3m 900m to WP; True remainder
Irrigation
Nil last 24hrs / 23mm last 7 days
Rainfall
15.5mm last 24hrs / 17.5mm last 7 days
Weather
Showers
Local forecast: Conditions remain weather-sensitive after Friday rain, with the track already moving from Thursday’s Good 4 to a Soft 6 by Friday night. Any further overnight or race-day rain will be important.
Weather gauged from: Murray Bridge, SA — Murray Bridge Racing Club area — Bureau of Meteorology forecast, checked Friday evening.

Official Track Release

Track rating: Good 4 (now Soft 6)

Grass coverage: Good

Irrigation: Nil in the last 24 hours and 35mm in the last seven days at the Thursday track walk.

Rainfall: Nil in the last 24 hours and 2mm in the last seven days at the Thursday track walk.

Rail position and why: +3m 1200m chute, +3m 900m to winning post, True remainder — moving to the best possible ground for the Cup meeting.

Verdict: The track was walking in the Good range on Thursday. Overcast conditions with a chance of showers and rain were forecast, making Saturday’s likely rating difficult to predict. The track has a good cover of grass.

— Released by Racing SA — Track Walked at 1.30pm Thursday

Recent Track Pattern

September 26, 2026
Winning Positions: 4 winners settled forward, 4 midfield and 1 towards the rear.
Pattern: Mixed — winners came from across the settling map.

Royal Randwick Track Report

Current Track Conditions

Overall Rating
GOOD 4
Rail
True
Irrigation
Nil last 24hrs / 3mm last 7 days
Rainfall
Nil last 24hrs / 4.8mm last 7 days
Penetrometer
5.20
Going Stick
9.1
Shear
12.4
Weather
Fine
Local forecast: Cloudy with a 95% chance of rain and 4–15mm possible. A thunderstorm is possible during the afternoon and evening, with a top around 23°C and north to northeasterly winds strengthening during the morning.
Weather gauged from: Randwick, NSW — Royal Randwick racecourse area — Bureau of Meteorology forecast, checked Friday evening.

Official Track Manager Comments

Our track is currently rated a Soft 5 (now Good 4), with the rail back in the True position for this meeting on Epsom Day.

The weather today, we’ve got a lovely day with a top of 29 degrees and nor’east winds.

Tomorrow is 24 degrees, with nor’east winds again.

A couple of showers are predicted to come through on Saturday. We’ll be looking at a top of around 22 degrees, with nor’east winds.

— David Anderson, Royal Randwick Racecourse Manager, via Australian Turf Club release Thursday at 10.30am
Track ratings and conditions are subject to change. Local weather forecasts are racecourse-area guides and may change overnight or during race day.

Betting offers

Upcoming Events

03 October 2026

  • Saturday Roughies - October 3 -
  • Horse Racing
  • Brisbane Bullets vs Tasmania JackJumpers -
  • Basketball
  • Warrington Wolves vs Wakefield Trinity Super League Grand Final -
  • Rugby League
Load More
Hear more from bets.com.au