It has been a season to forget for Queensland clubs but there is still bragging rights at stake as the Gold Coast Titans (14th) host the North Queensland Cowboys (13th) on Sunday afternoon.
The Cowboys have won one of their last nine games, while the Titans are a team on the improve having pushed competition favourites the Roosters and Panthers in their last two games.
Titans Form & Team News
The Gold Coast Titans have once again found themselves at the bottom end of the table in 2020, however, in the last few weeks they have produced some of their best performances against the ladder leaders Penrith and Roosters.
In a massive few weeks for the club, coach Justin Holbrook has acquired a couple of key signings headlined by David Fafita and Tino Fa'asuamaleaui.
Sam Lisone returns on the bench in the place of Sam Stone.
The Titans team for Sunday can be found below:
1. AJ Brimson 2. Anthony Don 3. Brian Kelly 4. Dale Copley 5. Phillip Sami 6. Ashley Taylor 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Moeaki Fotuaika 9. Nathan Peats 10. Jaimin Jolliffe 11. Kevin Proctor © 12. Keegan Hipgrave 13. Jai Arrow 14. Tanah Boyd 15. Jarrod Wallace 16. Tyrone Peachey 17. Sam Lisone 18. Corey Thompson 19. Jai Whitbread 20. Erin Clark 21. Beau Fermor
Cowboys Form & Team News
The Cowboys have had a season from hell, winning one of their last nine games and seeing the end of premiership winning coach Paul Green's reign. North Queensland have lost five straight, although the defeats were to four teams bound for the finals in the Eels, Roosters, Panthers, Raiders as well as Manly.
Captain and halfback Michael Morgan (shoulder) returns to the side for the first time since the competition went into lockdown in March, replacing Jake Clifford who’s been dropped to the reserves.
Josh McGuire (suspension) returns, as well as Tom Opacic in the centres, Emry Pere and Jake Granville on the interchange and Mitch Dunn in the back-row, with Shane Wright, Gavin Cooper, John Asiata (knee) and Murray Tualagi all out of the side.
The Cowboys team list for Sunday can be found below:
1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Tom Opacic 4. Connelly Leumelu 5. Justin O'Neill 6. Ben Hampton 7. Michael Morgan 8. Josh McGuire 9. Reece Robson 10. Jordan McLean 11. Mitchell Dunn 12. Coen Hess 13. Jason Taumalolo 14. Jake Granville 15. Tom Gilbert 16. Emry Pere 17. Francis Molo 18. Shane Wright 19. Jake Clifford 20. Esan Marsters 21. Corey Jensen
Titans vs Cowboys Head To Head
The Cowboys have won 16 of 24 matches against the Titans, including the last ten straight games dating back to 2014.
Titans vs Cowboys Betting Odds
The Cowboys are $1.68 favourites despite their poor run of form. The Titans are $2.20 outsiders, while the line has been set at -2.5 for the Cowboys.
Titans vs Cowboys Match Up
Jason Taumololo is arguably the best lock in the game and in many eyes the best forward in the competition. However, even he has been unable to save the Cowboys season. He comes face-to-face this weekend with Queensland Maroons and fellow star forward Jai Arrow, who is nearing the end of his time at the Titans having been linked with the Rabbitohs next season.
Taumololo was voted by his fellow players as the hardest player to tackle in the game, boasting 1,059 post-contact metres, 113m more than Payne Haas in second and 177m more than Reagan Campbell-Gillard in third.
Arrow on the other hand has been abnormally quiet compared to his lofty standards, but is one of the best locks in the game and was a star in State of Origin last year. He is a player who loves a challenge and never stands down, and both forwards will have to be at their best if they are to lift their side to victory.
Titans vs Cowboys Key Stats
- The Cowboys are $1.68 favourites to defeat the Titans at home and continue their dominance over their southern neighbours.
- The Cowboys have won the last 10 head to heads.
- The Cowboys have won one of their last nine games, while the Titans have won two of their last six.
- The Cowboys have won one game away from home since July 14 last year, their only win coming against the Bulldogs in Round 2 this year.