Sydney Roosters and Melbourne Storm meet in the game of NRL Round 14 on Thursday at the SCG. In what many think could be a dress rehearsal of this year's Grand Final, we could be in for a blockbuster in Sydney.
Sydney Roosters Form & Team News
The Roosters are fourth on the ladder with a 9-4 record following three successive victories over New Zealand Warriors, Gold Coast Titans and St George Illawarra Dragons.
They weren't exceptional in any of those wins, two coming by eight points and the other by six points against a trio of sides outside of the top eight.
But the Roosters' season has been built on solid foundations with the second best scoring record accompanied by the third best defence in the competition. In the 13 games played, only three teams have managed to surpass 16 points against this mean Roosters defence.
The Roosters welcome back Josh Morris, but Brett Morris, Boyd Cordner and Jared Waerea-Hargraves have not been named and are likely to remain on the sidelines.
The Sydney Roosters team list for Thursday can be found below:
1. James Tedesco 2. Ryan Hall 3. Josh Morris 4. Joseph Manu 5. Matt Ikuvalu 6. Luke Keary 7. Lachlan Lam 8. Lindsay Collins 9. Jake Friend 10. Siosiua Taukeiaho 11. Sitili Tupouniua 12. Mitchell Aubusson 13. Isaac Liu 14. Drew Hutchison 15. Poasa Faamausili 16. Nat Butcher 17. Daniel Fifita 18. Egan Butcher 19. Christian Tuipulotu 20. Max Bailey 21. Kyle Flanagan
Melbourne Storm Form & Team News
The Storm have been even more impressive than their opponents and boast the best scoring record and best defence in the league. It is perhaps a touch surprising, therefore, that their 11-2 record sees them sit in second spot on the ladder behind the Penrith Panthers.
Storm are on a seven-game run of wins, the latest of which came with last Saturday's 41-10 victory over Canterbury Bulldogs. That is the fourth time in the last seven games that Storm have scored 41 or more in a game.
Cameron Munster joins Cameron Smith in missing this game, but the Storm do have Ryan Papenhuyzen back.
The Melbourne Storm team list for Thursday can be found below:
1. Ryan Papenhuyzen 2. Suliasi Vunivalu 3. Tom Eisenhuth 4. Justin Olam 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Ryley Jacks 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Brandon Smith 10. Christian Welch 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenneath Bromwich 13. Dale Finucane 14. Nicholas Hynes 15. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui 16. Albert Vete 17. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 18. Sandor Earl 19. Chris Lewis 20. Cooper Johns 21. Brenko Lee
Sydney Roosters vs Melbourne Storm Head to Head
The Storm have won seven of the last 11 clashes with the Roosters, including a 27-25 win in Round 8 in a memorable match at Suncorp Stadium. The Roosters' wins, however, have come at key moments including in the 2018 Grand Final and 2019 Preliminary Final.
Sydney Roosters vs Melbourne Storm Odds
The Roosters have been installed as the $1.50 favourites with Storm the $2.60 outsiders. The line has been set at +5.5 in Melbourne's favour at $1.91.
Sydney Roosters vs Melbourne Storm Stats
- Sydney Roosters have won their last 3 NRL matches.
- Sydney Roosters have the second best scoring record and third best defence in NRL this season.
- Sydney Roosters have lost 7 of the last 11 matches against Melbourne Storm.
- Melbourne Storm have won their last 7 NRL matches.
- Melbourne Storm have the best scoring and defence records in NRL this season.