Sydney Roosters host the Newcastle Knights at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Saturday with the Chooks eyeing up a fourth straight win. The Roosters have dominated the Knights in recent times and are one of the shortest-priced favourites of the weekend.
Roosters Form & Team News
Since losing to the Melbourne Storm, the Roosters have won three straight including an 18-6 victory over Canberra Raiders last weekend. That was a battle between fourth and fifth on the ladder and will go a long way to sealing a Top 4 finish for Sydney.
The Roosters had put 96 points on the board in two victories over Wests Tigers (38-16) and Brisbane Broncos (58-12) before the much more hard-fought victory over the Raiders, and the Chooks rank as the best attack in the competition.
The Roosters have captain Jake Friend back on deck at hooker after recovering from a head knock and replaces Freddy Lussick in the only change.
The Roosters team for Saturday is below:
1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Josh Morris 4. Joseph Manu 5. Brett Morris 6. Luke Keary 7. Kyle Flanagan 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Jake Friend 10. Siosiua Taukeiaho 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Sitili Tupouniua 13. Isaac Liu 14. Nat Butcher 15. Lindsay Collins 16. Angus Crichton 17. Sonny Bill Williams 18. Poasa Faamausili 19. Mitchell Aubusson 20. Freddy Lussick 21. Ryan Hall
Knights Form & Team News
Newcastle sit sixth on the ladder and wrapped up a finals spot last week courtesy of a dominant 38-10 victory over Cronulla Sharks.
But the 10-6-1 record has been built on strong form at McDonald Jones Stadium where they have played four of their last five games and won them all. In their two most recent games outside of Newcastle, the Knights have lost.
The Knights make three changes to the starting line-up with Kalyn Ponga, Mitch Barnett and Hymel Hunt all given a rest and Tex Hoy, Edrick Lee and Herman Ese’ese replacing them. Daniel Saifiti comes onto the bench and Sione Mata’utia could return from injury after being named among the reserves.
The Knights team for Saturday is below:
1. Tex Hoy 2. Edrick Lee 3. Enari Tuala 4. Gehamat Shibasaki 5. Starford To’a 6. Mason Lino 7. Mitchell Pearce 8. David Klemmer 9. Kurt Mann 10. Jacob Saifiti 11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 12. Aidan Guerra 13. Herman Ese’ese 14. Phoenix Crossland 15. Daniel Saifiti 16. Josh King 17. Brodie Jones 18. Sione Mata’utia 19. Pasami Saulo 20. Tautau Moga 21. Chris Randall
Roosters vs Knights Head to Head
The Roosters have won 11 of the last 14 matches against the Knights. The most recent was a 48-10 thumping at the SCG last year, although the Knights did win the earlier meeting 38-12 in 2019.
Roosters vs Knights Odds
The Roosters are short $1.10 favourites to make it four wins in a row, while the Knights are $8.00 outsiders. The Knights have a line of +19.5 to cover.
Roosters vs Knights Stats
- Sydney Roosters have won 6 of their last 7 matches.
- Sydney Roosters have the best attack in the NRL in 2020.
- Sydney Roosters have won 11 of the last 14 matches against Newcastle Knights.
- Newcastle Knights have won 4 of their last 5 matches, but all were at home.
- Newcastle Knights have lost their last 2 away matches.