Two teams with contrasting seasons clash on Friday night as the Broncos host the Sharks at Suncorp Stadium.
The Broncos have lost eight of their last nine, including back-to-back 40+ point losses. The Sharks have won five of their last six matches as their ascent towards the top-four continues.
Will the Broncos show any signs of life on Friday?
Broncos Form & Team News
The Broncos are without question the worst team in the competition and after conceding 98 points across their last two games there doesn't look to be a lot of light at the end of the Brisbane tunnel.
Jake Turpin returns at hooker after a stint on the sidelines with a knee injury. Another spine reshuffle with Brodie Croft out with a shoulder injury. Anthony Milford returns to five-eighth, Darius Boyd to fullback, while Herbie Farnworth shifts into centre.
The Brisbane Broncos team for Friday can be found below:
1. Darius Boyd 2. Richard Kennar 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Xavier Coates 6. Anthony Milford 7. Tom Dearden 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Joe Ofahengaue 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Patrick Carrigan 14. Issac Luke 15. Rhys Kennedy 16. Ethan Bullemor 17. Ben Te'o 18. Cory Paix 19. Jordan Riki 20. Pride Petterson-Robati 21. Jesse Arthars
Sharks Form & Team News
The Sharks are one of the hottest teams in the competition and currently occupy seventh position on the ladder following a gritty four point win over the Dragons last week. The victory was Cronulla's fifth in their last six matches and leaves them just one win away from the top-four.
Josh Dugan returns for his 200th NRL game in place of Bryson Goodwin in the centres. Connor Tracey replaces the injured Chad Townsend at halfback. Briton Nikora returns from suspension in the back row.
The Cronulla Sharks team list for Friday can be found below:
1. Will Kennedy 2. Sione Katoa 3. Josh Dugan 4. Jesse Ramien 5. Ronaldo Mulitalo 6. Shaun Johnson 7. Connor Tracey 8. Braden Hamlin-Uele 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Aaron Woods 11. Briton Nikora 12. Wade Graham 13. Toby Rudolf 14. Siosifa Talakai 15. Jack Williams 16. Teig Wilton 17. Royce Hunt 18. Bryson Goodwin 19. Braydon Trindall 20. Jackson Ferris 21. Billy Magoulias
Broncos vs Sharks Head To Head
The Broncos hold a strong recent record over the Sharks, winning six-straight games.
While Brisbane holds a powerful advantage over Cronulla, three of the last four matches have been decided by four points or less, highlighting just how close these matches have been.
Broncos vs Sharks Betting Odds
Despite hosting the Sharks, the Broncos are the $2.50 outsiders heading in Friday night.
Cronulla is the $1.54 favourite and will need to overcome a -4.5 handicap if they are to provide line bettors a winning dividend.
Broncos vs Sharks Match Up
Thomas Flegler and Braden Hamlin-Uele are the pairing that will decide this match up. This duo of young props didn't take long to prove their up to NRL standard, now they're setting about climbing up the rankings of the game best front-rowers. If one of this pair can get the better of the other on Friday night those around them are likely to reap the benefits.
Broncos vs Sharks Key Stats
- Sione Katoa has scored at least one try in four of Cronulla's last five matches as a favourite
- Brisbane has lost eight of its last nine matches
- Each of Cronulla's last nine matches have gone over the total match points line