- Tuesday 18
- Wednesday 19
- Thursday 20
- Friday 21
- Saturday 22
- Sunday 23
- Monday 24
- Tuesday 25
- Wednesday 26
- Thursday 27
- Friday 28
Sandown Betting Tips, Best Bets & Odds for May 1
- Sandown hosts nine races on Saturday
- The track is currently rated a Good 4
- Justin Darcy provides his race-by-race preview for May 1
Sandown hosts Saturday's metro meeting. (Getty)
Sandown hosts a nine race program on May 1 and our free betting tips and best bets are available.
Our Sandown best bets are provided by expert form analysts and tipsters, and a preview of Saturday's racing is below.
Sandown Tips for May 1
Race 1 - 12.00pm Ladbrokes Handicap Tips
5. SEE YOU IN SPRING is a hot filly with an attitude as Daniel Moor described post her debut win at Cranbourne. She has a lot of ability though and a high cruising speed which is perfect for these shorter trips, especially as a two-year-old.
2. Qeyaady won well first-up at Sandown, taking a lot of benefit from his two race outings in the spring. The more he races, the better he will be in time.
4. Repeal was a flop first-up in Sydney last prep, but now comes down here with a tongue tie, indicating that he may have choked down on that occasion.
1. Gulf Of Suez promised a lot early in his career when racing in Adelaide, but has not been sighted since.
Race 2 - 12.35pm Clanbrooke Racing Handicap Tips
7. WHIPCRACKER WAY was enormous last prep, putting together three wins in a row at Moe before storming home for a fourth at Moonee Valley, the only horse to do so on a night that was dominated on the fence. Alexandra Bryan then jumped off when he went to town, and he subsequently flopped, but it is fair to say that the apprentice gets the best from him. Expecting him to be very hard to beat and he appeals as one of the better bets on the program.
10. Modear finished off the race well two back off a six-week let-up, but seemed a little flat footed last start when heavily backed at this track. She plummets in the weights and does look a touch of value here.
8. Harlem Blues stuck his head out where it counted last start at Sandown, recording his first win on the grass. He can continue on if ridden with cover until the final furlong.
3. Lady Solly was nosed out behind Harlem Blues last start but is in flying form and can't be left out of exotics.
Race 3 - 1.10pm IVE > Print Handicap Tips
9. ALTAI RANGER comes into this third-up off the back of two good runs, both behind city class horses. He plants himself on the speed and with Carleen Hefel's claim, he gets into this race with just 51kg on his back. For an on-pace horse from the flying Sadler stable, he goes on top marginally.
5. Cordilla I do not believe is suited by the inside gate, especially being that she has been the definition of bad luck previously. In saying that, her win at Caulfield last start was very good and with even luck, she is the one to beat, just not at the price for me.
2. My Pendant did enough in the Cordilla race last start to warrant respect second-up. She may need one more run to top her off, but at the price she looks the value for exotics.
4. Mr Tipla was strong first-up, although his best form has proven to be when fresh into his prep.
Race 4 - 1.45pm Ladbroke It! Handicap Tips
3. GRAND PROMENADE was very good last start behind Independent Road who only nabbed him on the line. Third-up is when we want to be with this horse now with two nice runs under the belt and up to the 2400m. John Allen has been aboard him at all of his four career wins, so he clearly gets the best out of the horse, so happy to be marking this bloke as the best bet of the day.
5. Miyake was good through the line at Caulfield last start in the Grand Promenade race and will only improve out in trip to the 2400m. He is still probably one run away from being the horse to beat in a race like this.
7. Bondi Sands made a nice impression at Sandown when beating a subsequent winner in Blue Ocean. That form has stood up but I still feel he is a prep away from really hitting his straps in Australia.
9. Johandough had put together two wins on the trot before running a nice third to Mahamedeis last start, but he has subsequently run poorly, so not sure what to make of the run now.
Race 5 - 2.20pm Ladbrokes Bet Ticker Handicap Tips
3. YULONG JANUARY did well first-up in the Vobis Gold Sprint when making up some late headway on a day that was hard to do so. He is a two time winner second-up, but it has been a while since he has shown his best. Off the last run in this small field, he will take a lot of beating.
7. Dice Roll was brilliant on his Australian debut off a long break and he is always going to improve from that run, but I am always wary of a horse putting in a flat one off the back of a long spell.
5. Biometric is yet to win in Australia, but was not far off Mr Quickie and Still A Star at his latest. One for the exotics.
1. Sircconi was super consistent across the spring, but he generally fires second or third-up from a break.
Race 6 - 3.00pm Ladbrokes Punter Assist Handicap Tips
A typical open mares race, so going with a little bit of value in 13. NOVEMBER DREAMING who is yet to live up to her early hype. Her second-up record is near perfect and her first-up run okay against a weaker field. Thinking that the big track of Sandown is really going to suit her, so happy to play here at an each-way price.
11. Knowles is an honest mare who performed well in a strong race at Cranbourne last start. She is one from one at the track and trip, and her second-up record looks good on paper.
5. Charleise was dominant last start at this track off the back of a narrow second on the Lakeside circuit. She is the deserving favourite in an open event.
14. Bons Abroad did enough behind Thousand Wishes at Caulfield last start and can run well again.
Race 7 - 3.40pm Ladbrokes Same Race Multi Handicap Tips
I don't understand why 1. FLORESCENT STAR is not a single figure chance off the back of a prep that has seen three wins and a game placing behind a subsequent Stakes winner. She beat a smart one called Lindhout last start who would be seen a live chance in this, so from gate one and the early speed that she has, along with the great record, she is our value selection.
11. Transplant was a six length winner last start at $1.16, so she did what was expected of her, but you can never knock a win that big no matter who the opposition is.
12. Comica won on debut at Pakenham, proving too strong for her rivals. Although it was not a big margin, the style of victory was very good.
3. River Night bounced back to something like her best last start, but a wide gate here does her zero favours.
Race 8 - 4.20pm Ladbrokes Switch Handicap Tips
6. FIFTH POSITION is an imported galloper with Australian Bloodstock who has trialled up well in preparation for this first-up assignment. We have seen the imports dominate these middle distance type races early on in their prep before, and when they are from Australian Bloodstock, you cannot ignore.
3. Approach Discreet was an eye-catcher in the Dice Roll race at Caulfield last start, looking as if he is in for another good prep. He has not missed a place in three second-up attempts.
7. Spring Choice was great first-up behind Shandy but just seemed a little flat second-up. He has won third-up
2. Somerset Maugham did not do much first-up but will have taken benefit from the run. Not a betting prospect yet, but once he gets to Flemington over the winter he will be something to beat.
Race 9 - 4.55pm Ladbrokes Easy Form Handicap Tips
8. VOWMASTER was a big blackbooker at Caulfield last start, not getting a heap of room, but hitting the line with gusto. That was a strong race with La Mexicana the winner, and although he has not yet lived up to last campaign's win at Moonee Valley, I feel he is still a work in progress.
7. Miss Divine Em backed-up just about every week when last in work, always around the mark with a record now of 10 starts for three wins and five minor placings. Is a chance at big odds if she returns in as good of order as she left.
5. Thudson was classes too good at Bendigo last start. He now comes up in grade, but has the scope to win again.
2. Valaquenta ran well behind La Mexicana last start, but she has done that all prep long. D-day today.
When is the first race at Sandown?
The first race at Sandown jumps at 12pm.
Who is the best bet at Sandown?
We are with Grand Promenade as the best bet at Sandown.
How can I live stream the Sandown races?
Visit our live streaming hub to see how you can live stream the Sandown races.
Grand Promenade and Whipcracker Way will run as our best bets of the day.
Florescent Star will run as our value selection.
Best Bet: Grand Promenade To Win @160.00 at BetMGM - 11 Units
Next Best Bet: Whipcracker Way To Win @360.00 at Caesars (Sport) - 6 Units
Value Bet: Florescent Star Each-Way @900.00 at PlaySugarhouse Sport - 3 Units