- Saturday 27
- Sunday 28
- Monday 1
- Tuesday 2
- Wednesday 3
- Thursday 4
- Friday 5
- Saturday 6
- Sunday 7
- Monday 8
- Tuesday 9
Sandown Betting Tips, Best Bets & Odds for January 23
- Sandown hosts nine races on Saturday
- The track is currently rated a Good 4
- Justin Darcy provides his full card preview below
Melbourne Metropolitan racing heads to Sandown this Saturday. (Getty)
Sandown hosts a nine race program on January 23 and our free betting tips and best bets are available.
Our Sandown best bets are provided by expert form analysts and tipsters, and a preview of Sarturday's racing is below.
Sandown Tips for January 23
Race 1 - 12.55pm Ladbrokes Switch Handicap Tips
1. PICARONES was green on debut at Caulfield but still was too strong for Crazy Ladies, where she settled midfield and made up three lengths in the straight. She did stargaze a little when hitting the front so will likely be a blinkers horse in time, but for the moment is doing her work on pure ability which can see her win once again.
3. Artorius comes from a strong form race where he was beaten by Jigsaw who is spruiked to be a Blue Diamond fancy. That event was in very quick time and race experience will do him the world of good.
5. Shadowheart is a half-brother to Stakes class performer Absolute Flirt who Danny O'Brien also trains. He worked well in a Werribee jumpout and should appreciate the extended 1300m journeyon debut.
11. Tiz My Bay worked home okay behind Arcaded last start and the bigger track along with the step up in trip suits.
Race 2 - 1.30pm Thoroughbred Club Handicap Tips
4. IRISH BUTTERFLY comes off a second placing at Warrnambool in stronger grade where he closed off well over 1100m. Has always shown some talent but is known to let the punters down when in the market. This is not a strong event and jockey Damien Thornton is riding in magnificent form, striking at 18%.
5. Dune Field comes off a second placing at Moonee Valley and a fourth at Sandown behind Zoushack who has subsequently run well at Caulfield. Loves the Hillside track where he is unbeaten.
6. Jimenez will be up on the pace, looking to control the race from start to finish. He draws inside and will have to do zero work to find his spot.
7. Altai Ranger comes through the same grade of race at Werribee but a weaker edition, where he was a dominant winner from on the pace.
Race 3 - 2.05pm Ladbrokes Back Yourself Handicap Tips
3. INDISPENSABLE has won all three this campaign, including a gritty 1400m race at Lakeside last start. Cam Rawiller keeps the ride and takes the valuable 3kg off of his back which could be crucial stepping up in grade. Has given us a reason to jump off yet.
5. Imperial Lad is the proven horse in this race who has measured up to the likes of Paradee in previous campaigns. He was off the boil last time in but kicked strongly to secure a 64 win at Lakeside last start.
9. Second Slip was too good in Adelaide last start where he posted a very fast 1.09:33 in 0-68 grade. This is his second Australian outing since racing consistently in New Zealand last prep.
4. Run To Perfection gets the Oliver tick and comes through a stronger race where he was making up ground behind Riding The Wave. Sandown is a big plus.
Race 4 - 2.40pm Clanbrooke Racing Handicap Tips
2. MOSH MUSIC was favourite last start behind Defibrillate after a great run second-up in the Lord Stakes at Caulfield. She was pushed a little further forward than what her usual racing pattern is so expect her to be ridden cold over 2400m in this race. Has a great turn of foot so if she can be within five lengths of the leaders on the turn, then she can round them up on this big straight.
5. Bartholomeu Dias was as tough as nails two back at Moonee Valley before finding the 2600m at Flemington about a furlong too far. He has since trialled up well at Werribee and comes back to an ideal trip of 2400m.
6. Stars Of Carrum was placed in a VRC Derby but has not been anywhere near that form since. He showed he could be something near his best first-up at Flemington when finishing fourth in the Defibrillate race last start, but often does tease like that.
3. Double You Tee has not won in some time but made up immense late ground behind Defibrillate last start to finish second. He needs another win but seems to be just that that couple of lengths below that.
Race 5 - 3.20pm Ladbrokes Easy Form Handicap Tips
An even race outside of the favourite 2. QUANTUM MECHANIC who does look the best bet of the day. Comes into this race third-up off the back of a strong third behind Fundraiser over the mile and at this stage of her last preparation, placed in the Adelaide Guineas behind Game Keeper and Hypercane which is much stronger than this. Has been somewhat of a non-winner though which does scare many punters, but her form is better than this lot and she should be putting them to the sword with Jamie Kah on.
3. Lady D'oro has come on in leaps and bounds this prep, from winning a Traralgon Maiden to having a city win and three city placings next to her name. The Island Joy form from last start stands out on paper and she did beat home Quantum Mechanic when he was first-up for the prep. Saver bet.
1. Intellective has won both starts this time in, last start beating Prism who has subsequently won in town so the form is once again good. Is now ready for a crack at 70 level.
8. Jungle Jane is a great money spinner for connections who has won three from 21 and placed in another eight. She comes out of the Imperial Lad race but does have some good second-up form.
Race 6 - 4.00pm Tile Importer Handicap Tips
4. BELLA TIARA was very good two back when third to Zou Dancer at Flemington before coming right over the top of Sensationalisation last start at Caulfield. Sandown benefits her racing pattern but barrier two is the little knock as she will need luck from there. Loves the 1400m.
Another who loves the seven furlongs is 1. Milton Park who is three from three at the trip. He was a huge drifter first-up but again thrived the 1400m. Never knock a horse in winning form?
7. Duke Of Neworleans put his name in lights first-up with an eight length win on a heavy track at Geelong before seemingly running out of gas on the Lakeside circuit last start when finishing third. There looks to be a little less pressure in front here.
8. Pig In Mud deserved the Maiden win last start, and a good one it was at that. He now comes up in grade but is another one that cannot be discounted in an even contest.
Race 7 - 4.40pm Ladbrokes Odds Boost Handicap Tips
5. GRINZINGER ALLEE was one of multiple horses that could have won last start at Caulfield where there were bad luck stories everywhere. Biometric came out last week and was only just beaten along with the winner 3. Rule The World who franked the form. He goes on top now second-up from a break.
1. Holbein brings in the different form from a few starts ago where he was third to Defiant Dancer. Last week he finished sixth when ridden upside down in the Rule The World race and will be ridden quiet this time, so expect a much improved performance.
8. Caffrey gets a 3kg weight swing on 4. Fundraiser after running second to that galloper by a head last start. He will be up on the pace and will not have to work to find a spot from gate one, while Fundraiser is a winner and will again be competitive.
Race 8 - 5.20pm MRC Members Handicap Tips
Landed on 2. HEART OF PUISSANCE by default after failing to try and find something to beat him. He is clearly the class runner of the race, last seen putting in a shocker in the All-Star Mile, but his two runs in his first campaign were that of a Stakes horse, running right off the track at Moonee Valley but still winning, while looking all but gone in the Sandown Guineas but kicking back tremendously. Has trialled up nicely for this but fitness is the query.
3. King Magnus keeps running well and comes out of Grinzinger Allee's last race (two back for this horse) who looks a big winning chance in the previous. Keeps racing well so until there's a flat one, he keeps going in the numbers.
11. Whittington Stone was brave last start, kicking back when looking gone to only go down a neck to Indispensable. Should be around the money again.
10. War Critic is the one on the way up, last start beating Yukon who subsequently won, but again needs to lift to feature here.
Race 9 - 5.55pm The Big Screen Company Handicap Tips
A very tricky race to finish off with and with low confidence, so going to go with a horse who will be somewhere near the pace and loves the trip which fits the bill of 9. PARIANO. She flies at 1000m, which was again proven last start when fading over 1100m behind Sword Of Mercy who has franked the form. A third to Defiant Dancer when first-up is another good reference and having Damian Lane on top is the icing on the cake.
8. China Affair lacked a turn of foot last start when ridden up on the pace at Flemington. That was the place to be but the horse ran super behind Sword Of Marcy two back when ridden quiet. Oliver goes back on and he can win.
3. Ididitforlove was the winner of the China Affair race last start, when having track pattern to suit. It was a great ride from Cam Rawiller and there is no reason why he cannot go out and do that again.
14. Sapphire Crown is a lovely mare from the Collin Little stable who can feature at her best. Is lightly raced and we'll find out here whether she is a wet tracker or a progressive galloper going forward.
What time is the first race at Sandown?
The first race at Sandown kicks off at 12.55pm with the last to be run at 5.55pm.
Who is the best bet at Sandown?
We are siding with Quantum Mechanic as the best bet at Sandown.
How can I live stream the Sandown races?
Check out our live streaming hub to see how you can live stream the Sandown races.
Quantum Mechanic strikes a very winnable race and third-up should be peaking.
Mosh Music went around as favourite in a stronger race last start and will appreciate a colder ride.
Pariano loves 1000m and gets the Damian Lane aboard.
Best Bet: Quantum Mechanic To Win @150.00 at BetMGM - 10 Units
Next Best Bet: Mosh Music To Win @290.00 at Caesars (Sport) - 5 Units
Value Bet: Pariano Each-Way @1200.0 at PlaySugarhouse Sport - 2 Units