Race 1 - 12:25PM TAB Highway Handicap Tips (1000m)
8. DEVILS TRIANGLE is interestingly placed here on a nine day turnaround, attempting the 1000m for the first time after mainly six furlong form, which is an obvious query, although it may be the right recipe as a hard-fit stalker on a heavy track. Was three-wide the trip in the second-up Goulburn win and there was some depth to that Class 1.
1. Pretty Woman is a big market watch fresh, resuming in a modest Class 2 Highway after being rolled in two stakes races either side of a spell and was in the market both times. She bolted in on debut, which was on a Soft 7.
2. Shelby Sixtysix seemingly runs every week and was only beaten a pimple in a Class 3 last week. Hasn't finished outside the top three on heavy ground.
9. Miss Kingston
was plain last start, but is well down in the weights here and won her last heavy track tilt. Maybe the blowout ($21.00 @ BoomBet
Race 2 - 1:00PM Midway Handicap Tips (1100m)
1. DELEXO was a victim if an inside draw fresh as he didn't initially pick-up, then the big son of Exosphere was caught on heels at the 150m and was out too late. Gives the impression he'll get a shade further this prep, so the 1100m is worth a look and gate six is perfect. A heavy track is a big unknown, otherwise you could mark him much shorter.
10. Mayrose resumed at big odds and showed a slick turn-of-foot to come from the rear at Canterbury in a strong BM64. Has won either side of a listed tilt and this is only her second prep. Looks to have plenty of upside.
4. Key Largo has received a his fair share of horror rides this prep and off a freshen-up , J-Mac takes over. Handles all conditions and will look to launch late.
8. Deep Crystal
may be better placed on Friday night, but could improve out of sight on a heavy track at each-way odds ($13.00 @ Neds
Race 3 - 1:35PM Furphy Sweet Embrace Stakes Tips (1200m)
3. LADY LAGUNA is the sole heavy track winner in the field and with Coolangatta likely to come out, I suspect she's the one the market warms to. Sat wide on return, yet found a second wind late in the piece, where she was only a stride off going three from three. Winkers go on and with tactical versatility, Bowman has options from barrier six.
2. Xtravagant Star landed good bets in the Inglis Millenium, holding off Sejardan and Paris Dior, which is the best form among these. Over an extra 100m and on more testing ground, we'll get a better gauge this Saturday.
9. Miss Faberge
trialled as well as Xtravagant Star on January 24 and was then badly checked at a key stage on debut. Could be a big improver here at a price ($17.00 @ bet365
4. Fireburn beat Revolutionary Miss (BD Prelude winner) in January and trialled well recently. May spot them a start though.
Race 4 - 2:10PM Elite Sand & Soil Skyline Stakes Tips (1200m)
1. EL PADRINO may be the safest option in what is the weakest edition of the Skyline I can remember. A winner of the Inglis Nursery at start two, he drifted late on return via the Millenium where he was left flat-footed when the sprint went on, before picking up late. To 1200m and with a run under his belt, he now finds an easier assignment.
10. Promitto has been supported at longer quotes, arriving off a 900m Newcastle debut win at 20/1. That set-up is speculative, albeit there was a touch of brilliance and he may just be the fresh horse here with X factor.
7. Rise Of The Masses is one-paced, but a tough colt that recorded a Heavy 10 debut win and continued to whack away fresh. A very testing 1200m should suit.
4. Jemeldi has been super professional in two QLD wins, absorbing pressure twice before sprinting late. Interesting runner.
Race 5 - 2:45PM Cellarbrations Liverpool City Cup Tips (1300m)
8. ATISHU created an immediate impression for Chris Waller, with the ex-Kiwi winning two of her first three starts before a competitive Group 1 Epsom showing and I think had simply had enough after that. They haven't given much away at the trials this time in, but off a fair mark and versus many rivals with question marks, this is very winnable.
2. Ellsberg is a very genuine and versatile entire that handles all conditions, while he's unbeaten from three first-up attempts. This isn't any harder to what he contested at the end of last prep, but has more weight now.
5. Brutality will be looking to peak for the Doncaster, which he qualified for via a Villiers win. He won't be wound-up, but a heavy surface gives him a sniff here.
12. Poetic Charmer
could be the bolter ($23.00 @ bet365
), being hard-fit on a heavy track. He did spot 5.5kg to a progressive one last start.
Race 6 - 3:25PM Guy Walter Proven Thoroughbreds Stakes Tips (1400m)
8. ICEBATH should be awfully hard to beat under Set Weights & Penalties conditions, with just 54kg and dropping 2kg from the Apollo, for now contesting a Group 2 event against her own sex. Despite numerous stakes placings and two narrow seconds at Group 1 level, she's yet to record a black-type win. On a heavy track, this looks tailor-made.
2. Forbidden Love brings Anamoe form back to a mares race and won the Surround Stakes last year off a similar pattern (freshen-up, then trial). Wet track is no problems, it's just whether she can give Icebath weight?
11. Promise Of Success was honest behind Snapdancer, with the winner having an ideal set-up and the 1300m now is a tick. Not all that well weighted, however.
7. Kiku was a little plain at the Magic Millions, but was second-up off a heavy track return. She's more effective in the wet.
Race 7 - 4:05PM TAB Chipping Norton Stakes Tips (1600m)
9. COLETTE does still warrant respect on a firmer surface, but a wet track is when she finds a new level, being unbeaten on heavy ground and has won two of her last three on a Soft 7. Honest on return behind Think It Over, who couldn't have asked for a better run, Colette can turn the tables on preferred going in the Chipping Norton Stakes.
1. Think It Over is improving with age with and despite a hat-trick of 2000m wins in the spring, 1400m-1600m is his best range at this level. Has won his last four outings at Randwick, but has never placed on heavy ground.
8. Verry Elleegant was plain in the Apollo Stakes, but there's much bigger fish to fry later this year. A heavy track and 1600m could see the champ bounce back.
is the pick of the outsiders ($26.00 @ TopSport
), a Group 1 winner over 1600m, 2000m and 2400m. She generally runs well fresh.
Race 8 - 4:45PM Drinkwise Surround Stakes Tips (1400m)
9. ZOUZARELLA produced the hidden run of the Light Fingers, when three-wide on speed in an event set-up for the swooper's and with all other on-pace runners well beaten, this filly was still boxing on despite a tough trip. Has drawn out, but 1400m gives her time to balance up and out wide can be advantageous at Randwick when wet.
3. Fangirl sprinted hard late and went straight past Espiona on return, so is there a great hurry to take the $2.15 about the fav to turn the tables here? Bowman will go back and look to circle them if the circuit allows.
7. Espiona was always going to open up fav again given the hype and starting price first-up. She can certainly atone, just not a betting proposition at the price.
4. Four Moves Ahead was slow to recover fresh, where she over-raced and the blinkers come off. Can improve on wet ground.
Race 9 - 5:25PM Petaluma Wines Handicap Tips (2000m)
13. THROUGH IRISH EYES recorded the fastest closing splits of his 1500m return event and was the only runner there to break 34 seconds for the last 600m. Has had just the one prep, which included a maiden win at 2200m and a St Leger victory at 2800m, so the 2000m now is much more suitable. Maybe still a run short, which is the main query.
8. Mr Gee somehow drifted to $4 last Friday night against a field of walkers, but was still only second-up, so there's improvement to come. Plummets in the weights on the back-up and has as much upside as anything here.
9. Outlandos bounced back to winning form on February 12. It will be a testing ten furlongs, so the fitness base of two 2400m runs could be crucial in this.
10. Easy Campese
is a query now at 2000m, but is right down in the weights and racing well. Could give a sight at big odds ($21.00 @ TAB
Race 10 - 6:00PM Garvan Institute Sprint Tips (1200m)
5. MAOTAI wasn't quite up to Home Affairs, Paulele and co when thrown in the deep end last spring, but has returned a more furnished colt. The fresh win over Silent Impact and Rustic Steel rated well for that February 5 card and now carries 2.5kg less for a race that isn't necessarily harder. Should win again if he handles the heavy track.
3. The Bopper has disappointed me a shade, especially after the first-up win and may not be as good as many predicted. Still, he brings strong Rule Of Law form to a thin BM88 and has a fitness edge over the fav.
4. Gravina was scratched last week and the map could work late in the day here, with a drop on them out wide. Can run very slick times and returns a gelding.
10. Turnstyle may lack class, but rolls forward with a low weight and will be right there if Maotai doesn't handle the ground.