Race 1 - 11:20AM FUJITSU GENERAL HANDICAP Tips (1200 METRES)
In a very open race to start the Randwick card we'll lean the way of the unbeaten 2. PARK AVENUE who was perhaps a little fortunate on debut, but it was all honours with this colt on May 29 when coming from the off the speed to score in what was only moderately run affair. He has the most runs on the board in this field and step up to 1200m does look a plus.
4. Verne has class, a full brother to Thronum that arguably should've on debut before sitting three-wide at Warwick Farm and still winning in soft fashion. That may have said more about the opposition there albeit it was an impressive victory all the same.
I'm not in a hurry to back 6. Sacred Field over Park Avenue based off that May 29 performance although this colt was on debut, so natural improvement is possible and he was a short priced favourite there. We'll get more of a gauge on him this Saturday.
3. In The Congo led throughout to deny Verne in his debut victory and those two were clearing out form the rest of the field. That time stacked up well for the class while he'll look to cross early and take up the running.
Race 2 - 11:55AM TAB HIGHWAY CLASS 3 PLATE Tips (1500 METRES)
A tough race to assess give so many of the key chances in this week's Highway have drawn poorly which includes 11. CHARVET who is otherwise flying for the new yard. The ex-Victorian won a strong Class 1 on Scone Cup Day before lumping an extra 6kg at Gunnedah and did that with ease. Drops 4.5kg off that and this does look good timing, but she will need luck from out wide.
3. Sizzling Cat
drew barrier 14 at both Randwick and Wagga on Friday, so the decision was made easier to attack the better prize money. I like the Island Bay Boy and One Aye form for this and he bounced back last start. Is a touch of overs currently ($17.00 @ bet365
If a blowout is fancied ($32.00 @ Sportsbetting
), then a good performance from 12. Lunasnit
wouldn't at all shock. While the mare was 50/1 in a Highway two back, she finishes much closer there had she drawn well (barrier four here) and was only a stride off winning last start.
15. Tipping Point will make a nice enough galloper in time, a sensational Maiden winner fresh before three competitive Highway attempts. I still think he's a prep away from fully furnishing, but this gelding has talent.
Race 3 - 12:30PM CITY TATTERSALLS CLUB HANDICAP Tips (1000 METRES)
Returning with a big win was 11. ICE IN VANCOUVER who was excellent in his first campaign, recording comfortable back-to-back victories before a flop in the Kosciuszko, but there were genuine excuses (cardiac arrhythmia). Scratched from last Saturday's Highway, I'm loving this placement in a thin off-season race with just 52.5kg and he can stalk the leaders throughout.
2. Malkovich is a trial star and a decent sprinter, but is very one dimensional although making all the running the way he does, this colt takes luck out of the equation. Narrowly defeated fresh, the drop back to 1000m second-up off that hit out is a positive.
Look for 4. Hulk late if they overdo it up front, a Waller-trained gelding who flashed home late first-up and although not as prominent on May 29, he doesn't have a great deal of second-up form. Is a leading chance if they can make ground.
I felt this event fell away a bit after the above three, but for those playing the exotics, 1. Lancaster Bomber
has top three/four claims at decent odds ($19.00 @ Sportsbet
). A proven weight carrier, he defeated Starspangled Rodeo before being spelled, a subsequent BM88 winner.
Race 4 - 1:05PM 50 YEAR AND LIFE MEMBERS HANDICAP Tips (1200 METRES)
Was 7. GRAVINA just looking for a soft track this whole time? That's about the best way we can explain what was somewhat a random demolition job produced by this colt on May 29 and five lengths away in second was Tycoonist, who should've won last Saturday. This is tougher on paper and this colt is short enough, but down in weights and from gate two again, he goes on top.
2. Belluci Babe was a heavily supported favourite last start and although didn't land those bets, recorded the fastest last 600m of that entire May 29 program in a leader dominated race. Like the step up to 1200m, but the wide draw is the knock.
Winning two of her last three outings in summer was 8. Shaik
, who attempted a Listed race first-up in Brisbane and was clearly in the worst part of that Eagle Farm circuit. Back to a wet track suits and she's a chance at double figure odds ($12.00 @ TopSport
Another that can improve back on soft ground from that Listed Coughlan Stakes is 4. Stellar Pauline, a filly that won the start prior and wasn't far away in a Group Three in April. Is down in grade and a big price ($26.00 @ WinnersBet) considering the better set up here.
Race 5 - 1:40PM DRINKWISE MILE Tips (1600 METRES)
This does look good placement with 5. LA CHEVALEE who was returning off a long spell when beaten by Witchfulthinking (since 84 placed at Flemington) on a leader biased track before being outclassed by the smart and unbeaten Kurabui, but they spaced the rest. Fitter now third-up and off a good map, she gets her chance albeit hasn't won at a mile from three attempts.
Winning third-up over the Randwick mile last preparation was 4. Zing and she's on the seven-day backup, which was a better second-up performance to her summer attempt. Back to Mares grade and drawing well again, she's a clear threat.
is also backing-up from last week, but is plummeting from a 94 to a 78 against her own sex. Was supported in that last attempt too where there was some inconvenience although she wasn't travelling well enough anyway. Big price ($21.00 @ Neds
) considering the drop in grade.
Queensland trainer Michael Costa goes on the road with 3. Seentoomany
, who was sound fresh at Listed level but one-paced following that behind Nudge and co. She's another at a long quote ($27.50 @ Sportsbetting
) that is dropping considerably in grade.
Race 6 - 2:20PM HEINEKEN RACING TO WIN HANDICAP Tips (1600 METRES)
11. BRUTALITY placed second-up in 'The Coast', finishing next to Nudge in the process, who has won her next two over the Brisbane Carnival. The 1600m back to 1400m was ultimately his undoing last start, but he was the clear eye-catcher, balancing up strongly late after spotting them a start. Barrier one is a query although the mile is a big tick and he's certainly knocking on the door.
2. Order Again was the best thing beaten this year in the 2021 Scone Cup, with many early bets at big prices going unrewarded after the gelding saw nothing but trouble in the run home. Keeping him on the fresh side is the key and the tick-over trial was sound.
After what was only a fair fresh effort, 7. Kirwan's Lane rebounded strongly despite the rise in grade with a win over Ellsberg second-up. He defeated subsequent Group winners Spirit Ridge and Missybeel in his last attempt over the Randwick mile.
I'd be a little surprised if the winner didn't come from the above three with perhaps 10. Two Big Fari
the pick of the outsiders ($34.00 @ Winnersbet
) for those playing the exotics. The winkers go back on and now finally drawing a gate, he can give a sight on the speed.
Race 7 - 3:00PM BOB CHARLEY AO STAKES Tips (1100 METRES)
It's an even race and we saw surprise results from the Ortensia with 5. FITUESE one of the beaten fancies there. First-up off just one trial, she was set a task, racing three-wide throughout and dropped out late as a result. She's been back to the trials, which will help knock some of that freshness out and they should ride her colder. This little mare gets a chance to atone.
was the other major flop in that May 15 event, which followed a big victory when resuming as a gelding at Hawkesbury. Racing flat second-up was the reasoning and he's since won a trial. Should lead and is perhaps overs ($10.00 @ PlayUp
) off just one bad run.
Bouncing off a third to prevail on May 29 was 8. Adelong, a mare that generally holds winning form (two winning hat-tricks made up her prior six victories). She only goes up a kilo and should be able to cross to land outside Embracer early.
I'm a little surprised 7. Wandabaa has opened favourite, who although is racing consistently, had every chance behind Adelong last start. Perhaps a wetter surface this time around will be more to her liking.
Race 8 - 3:40PM ACY SECURITIES HANDICAP Tips (1300 METRES)
While 1. TRICKY GAL has the weight to carry here off a little spell, this mare has won first-up on a Heavy 8 with a 61.5kg impost. Following a first-up victory last spring, she's competed almost exclusively at Group level, placing behind Group One winners Krone and Savatiano in the process. Making ground in a recent trial, she's each-way odds as the class runner against off-season rivals.
4. Grand Piano looked a galloper with a big future last autumn, winning four of five attempts with the miss being a third at Group level. After going completely off the boil in the spring, the second-up effort in Brisbane last start suggested he might be back on track.
Improving out of sight since late last campaign has been 8. Dream Circle and he's unbeaten this time in. This is a decent step up from 78 grade but down in the weights, fit and in-form, is seemingly going better than most of these.
9. Irish Songs
isn't the easiest to catch, hence his quote ($17.00 @ TopSport
), but he's no slouch and won't be far off a peak with two solid efforts now under his belt. The rise to 1300m is a slight query, but he's down in the weights and has a good record on wet tracks.
Race 9 - 4:20PM PRECISE AIR HANDICAP Tips (1400 METRES)
Bolting in fresh was 10. BLONDEAU and the time for that 1200m contest stacked up superbly for that entire Gosford meeting. A gelding that handles all conditions, he was defeated second-up as an odds-on favourite, but has still rattled off the fastest last 600m for that entire May 22 meeting. Might be looking for this trip now and in a thin race, he can bounce back.
6. Canasta looks clearly the main threat, especially if he controls this although a really testing surface might still be a query. He was only reeled in by Dream Circle fresh and this five-year-old bolted in second-up last campaign after dictating from the front.
Finishing behind Canasta third-up was 7. Criminal Code and over the 1300m, that was one of the better runs for that May 29 program. Loses the claim here though and might just be one run short, as he'll be better suited at a mile. It isn't a deep race, however.
One at huge odds ($26.00 @ Unibet
) that could sneak a drum is 2. Cinquedea
who got home okay second-up albeit was well held. Comes back to 78 grade and third-up last campaign, was only beaten two and a half lengths in a BM94. He always takes a few runs to hit his straps.
RANDWICK QUADDIE TIPS: