- Sunday 24
- Monday 25
- Tuesday 26
- Wednesday 27
- Thursday 28
- Friday 29
- Saturday 30
- Sunday 31
- Monday 1
- Tuesday 2
- Wednesday 3
Moonee Valley Betting Tips, Best Bets & Odds for August 21
- Moonee Valley hosts nine races on Saturday
- The track will likely race in the Good 4/Soft 5 range
- Who will win the featured McKenzie Stakes?
- Justin Darcy provides his race-by-race preview for August 21
Hilal (outside) will run as our best bet of the day. (Getty)
Moonee Valley hosts a nine race program on August 21 and our free betting tips and best bets are available.
- Moonee Valley Tips for August 21
- Moonee Valley FAQs
Our Moonee Valley best bets are provided by expert form analysts and tipsters, and a preview of Saturday's racing is below.
READ: Maher & Eustace Extras
Moonee Valley Tips for August 21
Race 1 - 12.50pm Roll The Dice Racing Plate Tips
1. ZAPATEO was very impressive last start when winning here, making a sweeping run to the bend and close enough to be able to finish the eace off on what was an on-pace day. All three runs to date have been good and although she is not going to be a top class filly, I feel that she is the most precocious of the horses that have had a race start.
9. Zouzarella is the first starter with a big exclamation mark above her head after a soft jumpout win at Mornington and nice trial behind Invincible Caviar. She comes from the powerful Freedman camp that can get these first starters going.
4. Decent Raine was a dominant winner at Echuca last start after showing some potential when last in work. She is still a work in progress but the penny may now be starting to drop.
2. Sliders has contested four stakes races from her first five starts, so this is a nice drop back in grade to try and give the filly some confidence.
Race 2 - 1.25pm Dr Sheahan Plate Tips
1. MALICORNE is a stakes class mare as she proved last prep when runner-up in the Kevin Hayes and Armanasco Stakes. Her first-up record is very good, last prep kicking off with a superb win at this venue in three-year-old fillies 64 company, but that was the win that really kick-started her city form. The only little issue I have is that she is a bridesmaid with six seconds from 10 starts next to her name.
8. Sugartown is her own worst enemy, simply refusing to settle in the run which has cost her races, including both of her last two starts where she ran third, beaten less than a half-length.
5. Love Sensation contested some very strong races last prep, but did not run out the 2000m come the end of the prep. She has had two starts around this track; fourth in a Gold Carat and second in the Alexandra Stakes, which is good enough form to be competitive here.
6. Foxy Lady was average in her return run but can bounce back to some better form here with just the one blemish next to her name.
Race 3 - 2.05pm Stuart Murray Handicap Tips
Just kept coming back to 3. CORNER POCKET who draws the fence, comes back in trip after a freshen-up, has tactical speed and has strung six wins in-a-row together. He has won at Moonee Valley, handles both good and soft ground, along with the fact that he is unbeaten at 1200m. It is impossible to fault him coming into this race.
4. Front Page is what is causing me not to make Corner Pocket the best of the day as he's the best in the race. He arrives off an almost 12-month break which is my worry, and the market will tell his story. If the money is on, he will win, if he drifts, it's Corner Pocket's race to lose.
8. Rock Tycoon loves Moonee Valley, running another honest placing to the in-form Imperial Lad last start. Will be around the mark at a price.
7. Yulong Storm is a Flemington specialist in my eyes, but is running very consistently of late.
Race 4 - 2.45pm Tony Gulliver Handicap Tips
A very open race, but the one with the least knocks in my eyes is 4. CHIEF ALTONY who was a good thing beat three starts back, a strong winner two back and may not have appreciated firm ground last start. The Moonee Valley track is suitable for these horses that like some cushion in the ground and with a little bit of rain around, this should be his perfect track to find his best like two starts back.
6. Nudge Bar was woeful last start but did pull up with some issues post-race so would prefer to forgive. My issue with him is that it is now three runs here without even looking a hope, so this is the last chance I will give him at this track as he may just not be a Moonee Valley horse.
7. Tinandali has always been a horse I liked since he was heavily backed at his Australian debut. He managed to find something like his best last start when third at Sandown, and again meets a similar line-up.
12. Smoke Bomb found his best last start and is a winner here, so he cannot be ruled out either.
Race 5 - 3.25pm Ladbroke It Handicap Tips
11. HEAVEN'S GIFT is a mare who brings in different form to the last 2500m race we saw run at this venue. She was a last start synthetic winner which often proves a winning formula in the city, not often at this time of the year but this is just a winter quality race. She really found her mojo up to 2200m and to a firmer surface, winning by three lengths of Deserved and Hopkins, the latter since running well in town.
1. Smokin' Romans won the 2500m race last start at this track and will carry the same weight thanks to the claim of Josh Richards. He will need to cross again and hope that Tavirun can give him the tag, but I just think there are now a few more factors that need to play in his favour to win again.
3. Tavirun lead for a long way in the 2500m race last start on what was a day to be on the speed. He gets around the Valley superbly.
4. Heir To The Throne was a long way back in the 2500m race two back, but has since come out and won well at Sandown. Maybe there will be more pace this time which would be ideal for his chances.
Race 6 - 4.05pm McMahon's Dairy McKenzie Stakes Tips
4. HILAL is a proper Group One horse which is what stands him out on this program. He was very good over 1200m in the Pago Pago against the likes of Shaquero, Tiger Of Malay, Ingratiating and Converge, then running second twice in the Sires Produce and Champagne Stakes. He is all class and not only is the clear best bet of the day, appeals as just about the bet of the month for mine.
1. Jigsaw was good without winning here last start as an odds-on favourite. He is much better suited now up to 1200m and is the logical danger to Hilal if there is one.
3. Rock Artist had the measure of Jigsaw last start over the 1000m, but 1200m is the new test and whether he can sustain that pressure.
2. Daily Bugle will be looking for further so watch for him late in the piece.
Race 7 - 4.40pm Ranvet Handicap Tips
Ciaron Maher & David Eustace have three standouts here, headed by the smart 9. HEART OF PUISSANCE who could be anything if he was not injury prone. He was dominant at Flemington, while Jamie Kah has stuck with this horse over the second favourite which is alead. What could beat him is one of two things; he settles midfield and beyond so any track bias towards the pace, while I also believe he is not completely furnished yet.
3. Grand Promenade is the one the favourite needs to beat who is the ultimate professional. He gets out the front, rolls along and says catch me if you can. If there is a slight leader bias on the day, Heart Of Puissance will struggle to pick him up, but otherwise I am keen to see these two battle to the line.
6. High Emocean can bob up if the other two are off their game but does look the third elect on paper. He was eye-catching over the mile here last start which the form has been good since, while he is always an improver second-up.
7. Pancho decided not to win last start as he had the race shot to pieces before losing his action around 15m from the post which is what ultimately cost him the race. He is not genuine, but consistent.
Race 8 - 5.15pm Long Fine Hospitality Supplies Carlyon Stakes Tips
Going with some value purely because everything in the market is a leader, which means 8. KALKARNI ROYALE will be well suited with something to mow down. She was beaten by two lengths last start by Miss Albania but gets a weight swing in her favour and she has some good form at Moonee Valley. She is going to get the gun run and with her turn-of-foot, could be the blowout late.
9. Miss Albania won well last start but that was down the straight where she could lead at her own leisure on her side of the split. She has a lot of speed to contend with here but I think she is the best horse in the race.
6. Ballistic Lover brings down the Sydney form which looks reasonably strong, along with a good first-up record. The knock is that her best form is when leading which again, there is a lot of pace.
1. Ancestry will lead them and hold the fence, but it is a matter of how much pressure comes to his outside which is what could set this race alight.
Race 9 - 5.45pm Cox Plate Multi Membership Handicap Tips
11. DEGRAVES looks the next best of the day after an impressive Flemington win where he was as green as grass, but showed a super motor. Jamie Kah hops aboard, he will take a nice position in running from the good gate and hopefully pounce on the bend and put them away. He no doubt will be wanting further as the prep goes on, but is an exciting animal going places.
6. Sovereign Award looks underestimated in the market as she was a touch off of her best last prep. She is a mare that needs to roll along and not be held-up, so an inside gate is favourable, while her Moonee Valley record speaks for itself with four wins from five attempts.
8. Biometric is so consistent and the form around Sierra Sue from two starts back now reads very well.
1. Defibrillate will not be ready first-up, but was eye-catching last prep before going on to win four races in a row.
Moonee Valley FAQs
Who is the best bet at Moonee Valley?
We are siding with Hilal as the best bet at Moonee Valley.
What time is the first race at Moonee Valley?
The first race at Moonee Valley jumps at 12.50pm.
How can I live stream the Moonee Valley races?
Visit our live streaming hub to see how you can live stream the Moonee Valley races.
Hiilal and Degraves will run as our best bets of the day.
Kalkarni Royale will run as our value bet.
Best Bet: Hilal To Win $2.35 at Neds - 11 Units
Next Best Bet: Degraves To Win $3.00 at Sportsbet - 8 Units
Value Bet: Kalkarni Royale Each-Way $19.00 at TAB - 1 Unit