- Thursday 23
- Friday 24
- Saturday 25
- Sunday 26
- Monday 27
- Tuesday 28
- Wednesday 29
- Thursday 30
- Friday 1
- Saturday 2
- Sunday 3
Moonee Valley Betting Tips, Best Bets & Odds for July 31
- Moonee Valley hosts the season closer on Saturday
- The track is currently rated a Soft 5 with little rain due between now and race day
- Who is the best bet of the program?
- Justin Darcy provides his race-by-race preview
Racing returns to Moonee Valley on Saturday. (Getty)
Moonee Valley hosts a nine race program on July 31 and our free betting tips and best bets are available.
- Moonee Valley Tips for July 31
- Moonee Valley FAQs
Our Moonee Valley best bets are provided by expert form analysts and tipsters, and a preview of Saturday's racing is below.
READ: Maher & Eustace Extras
Moonee Valley Tips for July 31
Race 1 - 12.45pm Mia Kleer Hand Sanitiser Handicap Tips
1. JIGSAW looks hard to beat after his first-up win at Caulfield where the second horse has come out and proven a subsequent metro winner. He was very good in some of the best two-year-old Victorina races over the autumn, so there is no doubting his ability. Whether he is an A-grade stakes class galloper is another question, but this should be a stepping stone to find out whether he is or not.
3. Frostin' was good last prep, chasing stakes class filly Tycoon Humma second-up before bolting in his maiden. He then contested the Vobis Gold Rush, beaten by smart sprinter Starry Legend. Comes back a gelding now, so he could now announce himself as a city class horse.
4. Direct has been super in all three career runs, finishing second at Moonee Valley first-up in November, culminating in a third placing in the Silver Slipper and finishing just over three lengths from Anamoe and Profiteer.
2. Lloyd's Crown has done nothing wrong to date with a second placing and a win next to his name, but needs to lift to beat the top three in betting.
Race 2 - 1.20pm Plant Powered Cleaning Handicap Tips
2. FROST FLOWERS is one that looked like a world beater on debut, but just lacked the ticker in her two subsequent starts when races where there to win. She has nice early toe which will be suited around the Moonee Valley circuit, while she also draws soft in gate two, the ultimate push that has made me put her on top.
6. Zapateo has impressed me greatly in two starts to date and if they are making ground, she can win. The daughter of Brazen Beau was brilliant when winning on debut and then simply went too early on July 10 when left a sitting duck.
3. Tycoon Humma is a Stakes class filly, but jumping from a wide gate around Moonee Valley is a tough ask. Jamie Mott sticks with this girl over the stable mate.
1. La Rocque is the stablemate to Tycoon Humma with a similar record, unbeaten in two starts. She had good toe and will be one looking to cross from the wide barrier.
Race 3 - 1.55pm Brompton Handicap Tips
3. NO EFFORT has won two in a row for the in-from Bedggood stable, both all the way wins on tracks that suited those closer to the pace. Around Moonee Valley, we can often see that type of bias so she looks to again have an opportunity to go all the way. There looks a little more speed in this race, but with the light weight and soft barrier, she can afford to spend a little more fuel in the run if need be.
9. Falls is another who is going to go forward, and with Craig Williams in the saddle, he will be sure to roll forward and keep a good pace in the race which is when we see the best of this gelding.
6. Think We're Due is the one at a price that can run well, improving up in grade last start and now getting to Moonee Valley where he is a winner and place getter.
4. Hi Stranger has come up favourite but is going to get back and storm home as we have seen time and time again from this galloper, so happy to risk in this event.
Race 4 - 2.30pm Mirasan Handicap Tips
8. NUDGE BAR looks a touch of value here, where even though on class he will struggle, he has fitness is on his side along with tactical speed and is in a rich vein of form. When these Gelagotis runners find form, they can generaly hold it and the in-form Craig Newitt is the perfect engagement. At the price, I am happy to go his way.
1. Buckhurst is the best horse in this race by the length of the Flemington straight, but how he returns for his second prep in Australia is the big question, as these Lloyd Williams generally fire up and prove a spring force, or are just ordinary.
2. Dr Drill was solid again last start, but is beginning to run a lot of placings which can be frustrating for the punter. It would be no shock to see him win with race fitness, although it would also be no shock to see him find one or two better again
5. Bedford is looking for a much more testing surface than he is going to get here, so he does looks far too short in the market for mine.
Race 5 - 3.10pm Dominant Cleaning Solutions Handicap Tips
1. I'M THUNDERSTRUCK is short, but I am struggling to see how they can beat him unless there is a crazy leader bias. I am convinced this horse is Group One quality and can win a race such as the Toorak over the Spring Carnival. This three-year-old has an elite turn-of-foot and although is probabably better suited to Flemington, he should still prove too good here.
5. Tuvalu is the one that can win if something goes wrong for the favourite. He was second to I'm Thunderstruck last start and has early toe that will be suited around Moonee Valley. This galloper has a lot of potential moving forward.
2. Seiners Express will get out the back and look to grab the back of I'm Thunderstruck for a cart home. He is racing very well and has Alana Kelly in the saddle who is riding superbly at present.
4. Great Diviner makes the treck across from SA where he has won his last two races. This is a step up, but he keeps doing everything right.
Race 6 - 3.50pm Victorian Wakeful Club Lady Of Racing Handicap Tips
2. WHY CHOOSE HER never got a crack at them last week when heavily supported late and I feel that the market may have just missed her again in what looks to me a race of less depth. I don't think she would have beaten King Magnus, but I also believe King Magnus would be winning this event. Clear value on the card.
6. Leale was too good two starts back at Sandown and again was strong last start in a similar race to this. She has form at Moonee Valley which is what is causing me to swing her way for the second selection.
3. Ghodeleine won last start in the Leale race and has form at Moonee Valley so she can go well again.
5. Lady D'oro comes through the same form race and is a mare that can hold her form once she strikes it.
Race 7 - 4.30pm Dominant Travis Harrison Cup Tips
Very keen on 5. SMOKIN' ROMANS here who broke through for that deserved win last start at Sandown when beating in-form galloper Vegas Knight. He was very unlucky in his prior starts, but after some winding up last time out, was simply too good. Now has to step up to the 2500m and jumpng from the wide alley which are the only questions, but should be suited to these Moonee Valley staying races as he is a momentum horse.
3. Maseratie Bay importantly gets John Allen back in the saddle who has ridden him seven times for four wins. On a heavy track last start he was not at his best, but can bounce back here on some firmer footing.
13. Crimson Ace loves to run a nice race without winning and I am expecting the same here. Having her first try over the distance, she looks one who should be able to stay.
14. Pissaro beat Royal Crown in the Flemington Cup last start into fourth position, who subsequently came out and won last week at Caulfield, while he also has form at The Valley.
Race 8 - 5.05pm Congratulations Jamie Kah Handicap Tips (Race 8)
3. LITERATI maps to get the run of the race here and comes out of a nice affair at Flemington in which Seiners Express won and Foxy Frida ran second, who are both flying at the moment. The Symon Wilde-trained gelding has been tested over this trip and further twice before, but has just lacked a killer punch, but hoping a dream run can help him find what he needs.
1. NAMAKWA has had five weeks and a trial between runs to keep him ticking over heading into this event. I like him back to some firmer ground and he is another who is going to get a sweet run in transit.
4. Red Santa looks the one to beat based off last start's gritty win at Caulfield, but draws wide which does him no favours.
16. Swindon Lass is going well and again is one at a big price that can run well, but it does not help when she keeps drawing poorly.
Race 9 - 5.40pm Ladbroke It Handicap Tips
10. FOXY LADY is a Moonee Valley specialist, yet to miss a placing here in four goes, claiming two wins en-route. Her issue is that she jumps from a wide gate, but with a little bit of luck from that alley, expect her to finish somewhere inside the exotics at an each-way price.
8. Wilmot Pass is a professional place getter who loves to build his momentum and storm home. I do not believe Moonee Valley will be his track over this trip, but if they go quick he can rattle home.
18. Flash Flood is the early favourite but needs four scratchings to make the field. he has been great in three starts to date, although will be suited over a touch further as the prep wears on.
1. Imperial Lad is always around the mark and will likely make the pace as usual out in front.
Moonee Valley FAQs
What time is the first race at Moonee Valley?
The first race at Moonee Valley jumps at 12.45pm.
Who is the best bet at Moonee Valley?
We are siding with Smokin' Romans as the best bet at Moonee Valley.
How can I live stream the Moonee Valley races?
Visit our live streaming hub to see how you can live stream the Moonee Valley races.
Smokin' Romans and No Effort will run as our best bets of the program.
Why Choose Her will run as our value bet of the program.
Best Bet: Smokin' Romans To Win @250.00 at Palmerbet - 10 Units
Next Best Bet: No Effort To Win @300.00 at bet365 Australia - 7 Units
Value Bet: Why Choose Her Each-Way @850.00 at Topsport - 3 Units