- Sunday 20
- Monday 21
- Tuesday 22
- Wednesday 23
- Thursday 24
- Friday 25
- Saturday 26
- Sunday 27
- Monday 28
- Tuesday 29
- Wednesday 30
Doomben Betting Tips, Best Bets & Odds for May 22
- Doomben hosts nine races on Saturday
- The feature is the Doomben Cup (Race 7)
- The track will likely get an upgrade on the current Soft 5 reading
- Justin Darcy provides his race-by-race preview for May 22
Doomben hosts nine races for Doomben Cup Day. (Getty)
Doomben hosts a nine race program on May 22 and our free betting tips and best bets are available.
Our Doomben best bets are provided by expert form analysts and tipsters, and a preview of Saturday's racing is below.
Doomben Tips for May 22
Race 1 - 11.34AM MITTYS BENCHMARK 80 Handicap Tips
10. PRINCE OF ARAGON looks hard to go past off the back of two great wins this prep, last start especially at Gosford when winning by more than three lengths. Craig Williams is booked to take the mount, a very positive booking from the stable and as a result, we have seen plenty of early support. In what is a rather even race, this gelding looks to be the one with the most scope going forward stepping up to this distance range third-up.
12. Designs was great in defeat last start, beaten by a subsequent winner in Fortified who looks on track to run in a Queensland Derby. She was stuck in the wrong part of the track, looking for runs along the inside, but now will find the box seat or one pair behind that from barrier four.
8. Real Sensation comes up from Victoria where he brings some nice form, when narrowly winning at Flemington too back before having no luck last start over the mile at Caulfield. 2000m is the query but this horse adds a touch of x-factor.
5. Joymaker has been consistent all prep long and will be the fittest horse in this race, so expert her to be around the mark.
Race 2 - 12:09PM CAPTAIN MORGAN TROPICAL Class 6 Plate Tips
4. RIGHT OR WRONG was very good last week behind Reloaded, beating home Fabric who had just come off a Stakes win. This horse is now on the one-week back-up which should suit running over the mile once again. From gate eight, he may just settle a touch further back than last week, but last week's run holds a lot of merit going into this event.
12. Goldifox carries the featherweight of 52.5kg so she has to be given a chance. I think the market has her short enough, but her last run on the Gold Coast was against stronger opposition than these.
2. Cloak is very consistent and now gets a 3kg claimer on board to bring him down to 56kg. He loves Doomben and is a winner fourth-up.
6. Guntantes was only denied a length at Eagle Farm last start when beating home Cloak into second spot, so there is very little between these two gallopers.
Race 3 - 12:44PM CITY PROPERTY SERVICES CARTER STAKES Tips
1. STELLAR MAGIC is yet to miss the top two in five starts, last start finishing second behind Miss Hipstar on what was a track that was hard to make up ground. She has a nice short turn-of-foot and although the 1200m is now the test, I do believe she can run it out with the beautiful box seat run she is expected to get from gate three.
5. Socialist recorded her first win last start at Canterbury when starting at near enough to even money. That was on a heavy deck over 1200m, while her prior performance was a second to subsequent stakes winner Xtremetime on a good track over 1200m. There are no issues with her over this trip.
7. Dovetail Diva was too good at a short quote two starts back here, before tackling Subterranean and Ranch Hand last start, both on track to feature in the Atkins.
8. Morioka was second behind Socialist last start so she has to be given an each-way hope here.
Race 4 - 1:19PM IPG MARKETING SOLUTIONS DARBY McCARTHY Tips
Going with some value in 2. OUR PLAYBOY here who comes into the race first-up after tackling what turned out to be some of the strongest three-year-old race across the spring and summer. He is turning up here with a trial win under the belt, which means we can assume he has not travelled and has stayed in Queensland since his Magic Millions Guineas run. He is a first-up winner over 1100m.
5. Rocketing By is the clear testing material third-up after finishing fifth in the Arrowfield behind Wild Ruler and Isotope while he only just got going late at the Gold Coast last start in another nice race. He is ready to peak.
1. Wisdom Of Water has not been too far away in three starts this prep, finishing second behind Signore Fox, sixth in the Arrowfield and third last start behind Baller at the Gold Coast. He will be around the mark again.
14. Kisukano beat home Rocketing By last start when finishing third behind Marboosha, so the form ties in to the main chances in this race.
Race 5 - 1:58PM MAGIC MILLIONS PAM O'NEILL STAKES Tips
1. PARADEE is the class of this race, putting together three wins on end, which resulted in a fourth placing in the Australian Cup. She now comes back into work after a short let-up, so she must be a mare that does not spell that well in the paddock. Barrier 10 makes things a little awkward for her, but without an abundance of pace here, she should be able to slot in behind 2. Greysful Glamour or sit outside that mare if she does decide to walk in front.
Speaking of that mare, she comes into the race off a Hawkesbury Cup fifth last start when peaking late. Outside of the top weight, she is one of the class runners in this race at this level.
4. Nudge has put together back-to-back second placings in strong races at both Randwick and Gosford. She tends to need luck in her races, but if she finds some, it would not shock to see her right in the finish again.
10. Le Gai Soleil bring in some weaker form but has the scope to improve sharply. She was huge fresh and should have won last start as well on the Kensington track.
Race 6 - 2:38PM XXXX CHIEF DE BEERS Tips
3. JUST ORM looks a great bet at an each-way quote after a solid first-up performance over 900m on the Gold Coast, now much better suited up in trip to the 1100m. There looks plenty of early speed in the race which should allow the field to really roll along, and help out horses like Just Orm to rattle home. He is a second-up performer and could get the perfect race shape to storm over the top of them.
11. Varda looks well placed after a solid first-up run at Hawkesbury when chasing Embracer. She is a winner second-up and this could now be her prep where she makes her way through the grades quickly.
14. The Astrologist has a lot of ability and an excellent first-up record to go along with it, but just needs some luck in this event from the wide gate. Not sure he wants them to go too hard in front seeing that he may be left a little vulnerable first-up, but on scope he is right in this.
6. Sugar Boom is very fast, only denied by Usmanov over 900m first-up. In the past she has proven to crack under pressure over this trip, but based on ability, she should be right in this on dry ground.
Race 7 - 3:18PM CHANNEL 7 DOOMBEN CUP Tips
5. ZAAKI should be putting Group One win number one on the board here after an excellent prep that has led to his favouritism in this event. He was very good in the Doncaster at a monster price before peaking late at Randwick. He was backed off the map in the Hollindale and won accordingly, looking as if fourth-up and over 2000m, we are going to see a WFA beast in the making. Might be worth a spec in the Cox Plate if you can get a price as well.
On a dry track I favour 1. Sir Dragonet off the back of his dominant Tancred win on good ground. Although that was not a Group One quality race, he showed that he is a Group One horse. He just needs the pace on in front to make it more like a mile and a half test which is his optimum distance.
6. Humidor looks set to peak in this race with this being his target event for the campaign. He was terrific in the Hollindale and can be the surprise packet at a nice price.
2. Mugatoo is an All-Star Mile winner did beat home Zaaki in a Doncaster. Thinking the latter has made great improvement and this fella is better suited to wet ground.
Race 8 - 3:58PM TAB BRC SPRINT Tips
Going with 2. TOFANE based on the price given for a proper Group One mare. She ran well in the Sapphire first-up when not far off Group One performer Fasika, and we know she always improves with a run under the belt. Was not beaten far second-up last year in the Gilgai, finishing fifth in a five way go across the line, with subsequent Group One winner Zoutori taking out the event. She will likely get back and likely has a bigger goal in mind (Tiara?) but class is going to go a long way here.
14. Garibaldi is a model of consistency and gets in light with 54kg. Glen Boss takes the mount and will give this horse every chance from a positive gate five.
8. Groundswell needs to hold his form which is something he has not been able to do when fourth-up in the past. He will be on the pace and be the one to run down, but he needs to lift again and not plateau.
17. Skins is going through the grades nicely and although drawn horribly, has plenty of scope.
Race 9 - 4:34PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS THE ROSES Tips
2. BARGAIN brings the ATC Oaks formlines to this race, where she was only just over a length from Hungry Heart. Back to 2000m is ideal off a five week break, and this class of race is not even close to that of what she has been competing in. She is going to be a horse that improves into her four-year-old prep as well, so I do not think the stable would risk giving her too big of a prep if she was not ready for it.
3. Grace And Harmony has put together three wins this prep, including a strong effort at Gold Coast over 1800m last time out. She is a horse on the up and the clear danger to our top selection.
10. Signora Nera brings a second placing to Grace And Harmony last start to this race and will only improve out to 2000m again. She was only two lengths from Bargain in the Oaks two starts back.
8. Only Words also comes through the Grace And Harmony race from last start. Although she looks to lack something on the top three, she has shown she can be competitive at the very least.
What time is the first race at Doomben?
The first race at Doomben jumps at 11.34am with the last race to be run at 4.38pm.
Who is the best bet at Doomben?
We are siding with Zaaki as the best bet at Doomben.
How can I live stream the Doomben races?
Visit our live streaming hub to see how you can live stream the Doomben races.
Zaaki and Bargain will run as our two best bets of the day.
Just Orm will run as our value bet.
Best Bet: Zaaki To Win @180.00 at BetMGM - 11 Units
Next Best Bet: Bargain To Win @340.00 at Caesars (Sport) - 7 Units
Value Bet: Just Orm Each-Way @1200.0 at PlaySugarhouse Sport - 2 Units