- Sunday 24
- Monday 25
- Tuesday 26
- Wednesday 27
- Thursday 28
- Friday 29
- Saturday 30
- Sunday 31
- Monday 1
- Tuesday 2
- Wednesday 3
Caulfield Betting Tips, Best Bets & Odds for August 28
- Caulfield hosts Memsie Stakes Day on Saturday
- The Memsie Stakes will run as race eight of the program
- Who will take out the feature event?
- Justin Darcy provides his race-by-race preview for August 28
Artorius returns to the races on Saturday. (Getty)
Caulfield hosts a nine race program on August 28 and our free betting tips and best bets are available.
- Caulfield Tips for August 28
- Race 1 - 12.20pm Neds Handicap Tips
- Race 2 - 12.55pm Volvo Cars Brighton Handicap Tips
- Race 3 - 1.30pm Evergreen Turf Handicap Tips
- Race 4 - 2.10pm H.D.F. McNeil Stakes Tips
- Race 5 - 2.50pm McCafe The Heath 1100 Stakes Tips
- Race 6 - 3.30pm W.W. Cockram Stakes Tips
- Race 7 - 4.10pm Tile Importer Heatherlie Stakes Tips
- Race 8 - 4.45pm Moët & Chandon Memsie Stakes Tips
- Race 9 - 5.20pm Neds Filter Form Handicap Tips
- Caulfield FAQs
Our Caulfield best bets are provided by expert form analysts and tipsters, and a preview of Saturday's racing is below.
Caulfield Tips for August 28
Race 1 - 12.20pm Neds Handicap Tips
Expecting a market order finish in the small field with 3. TOORADIN leading the charge after almost upsetting future star Hosier at Flemington. That was over 2000m, where he now needs to take the step out to 2400m which is the next question. He is bred to run it out comfortably, but what I like is that the Maher & Eustace stable have not rushed him, and we know how good they are at placing these stayers as they rise in grade and trip.
4. Heir To The Throne was brilliant at Sandown, winning over this journey while he had a track bias against two starts back at Moonee Valley yet still ran super. If there was a pace injection, this will suit him.
2. Bedford has been around the money without winning in very good form races, including Pancho who matches it with some Winx times last week.
1. Mahamedeis is a horse I have questions over at this trip, but a small field may mean a slower tempo which will play into his hands.
Race 2 - 12.55pm Volvo Cars Brighton Handicap Tips
An open race, but its was hard to find value due to some good horses dominating the market, including 8. DEEP SPEED who will be forever remembered as the horse who got Jamie her 100th metro winner. He was good again last start at Flemington when third in a very strong race down the straight, now back around a bend which is ideal and back in grade. 3kg claimer Maddie Lloyd takes the ride, making him very well off at the weights and the clear horse to beat from the inside gate.
5. The Gauch put together two fantastic wins last time in and has been freshened up for this race. 1100m suits and he loves Caulfield. The Pintoff form reads excellent.
7. Zorro's Dream hates to win when expected, but can beat the punters at double figures. He goes in everything, but by past history between us two, that means he will run an honest placing.
2. Barthelona is the first-up horse who comes into this race off a long break. His fresh form just about wins this race, but how fit is he? Has trialled up well.
Race 3 - 1.30pm Evergreen Turf Handicap Tips
7. TURAATH dominated last start at Flemington, beating some handy mares in the process. She rolled to the pace and just kept running under the urges of McNeil who will ride again today. The five-year-old only needs to show up in that form to win this with some other handy gallopers in the race fresh and will not have her race fitness. Best bet of the day.
2. Annavisto was good last prep when winning at 64 level before culminating in a stakes place in Adelaide. Not sure of the form around her but she is a winner. My main query is her trial at Cranbourne where I was expecting her to be a tad sharper, but maybe that means she is looking for the 1400m first-up.
5. Good And Proper is an owner's dream, finishing in the money seven times from 11 goes, while she has also run in some very handy races and competed in good races, so each-way all day for this girl.
3. Lunakorn I firmly believe is a Flemington horse, but her class should see her run into the top four in this event.
Race 4 - 2.10pm H.D.F. McNeil Stakes Tips
1. ARTORIUS returns, one of the two three-year-olds we have been waiting to see this spring. He was the Blue Diamond winner over this track/trip and was awesome in the Slipper when on his wrong leg the whole way. He has the potential to explode onto the scene this spring, but what I can't believe is the price available. The market has him pegged as a miler (which he will be), but his best win has come at this trip? Class should prevail.
5. Mr Mozart was a blackbooker from the Vain Stakes after bumping into Ingratiating, but again bumps into one who is potentially better. He hit the line beautifully so 1200m is not a worry and may just need to a tad further if he is going to be a chance of beating the big boys.
9. Heresy was great in the Quezette and now comes up against the boys. She gets some weight relief, 3kg off of the top weight, but is she top class?
2. General Beau was solid in the Vain, really sticking on to the line to pinch second placing. I am still not convinced at 1200m, but outside of the top four in betting, he is simply better than them.
Race 5 - 2.50pm McCafe The Heath 1100 Stakes Tips
GET $4 for Masked Crusader to Win & Behemoth to Place
1. MASKED CRUSADER is the best horse in this race and should prove it, after a prep that consisted of a dominant first-up win over 1200m, a stiff third at Group One level, a Group One win, a mammoth second in the TJ Smith was just in the wrong part of the track in the All Aged. He has recently won a trial with ease, so there is nothing pretty about the price, but he looks the multi-builder.
4. Oxley Road stuck on well behind Miss Albania fresh when hard against the inside fence at Flemington. He is a stakes winner here at Caulfield and tries his hardest.
8. Spaceboy will be the one rolling along out in front and the one they need to catch. He plays the Bridesmaids role well, with 11 second from 25 starts and expect him to be around the money once again.
3. Crosshaven was a WFA Group One place getter first-up last time in, but this trip will not be his go. Class is there to run a race at least.
Race 6 - 3.30pm W.W. Cockram Stakes Tips
It looks a race in two between the two Group One winners of the field and who sprints the best fresh. Going to go with the class of 1. PROBABEEL to get the job done purely because this will be run on a dry surface which is where she performs her best. She was simply a class above when wide the whole trip here fresh last time in, then beat Arcadia Queen in the Futurity which is no easy feat.
The only one who can beat her is 2. Instant Celebrity who won the Sangster when last in work and was second in the Goodwood. While she doesn't have the runs on the board that Probabeel has, this mare is the better sprinter if you raced them both at their best at this journey.
4. Rich Hips has an excellent first-up record of four starts for three wins, and did record a fantastic Mannerism win here in February over 1400m.
3. La Mexicana had things go wrong last start at Caulfield, but I loved that she did not hoist the flag. She may be a touch off her best, but it would be no shock to see her in the top three or four here.
Race 7 - 4.10pm Tile Importer Heatherlie Stakes Tips
12. BARTHOMEU DIAS was too good first-up when beating subsequent dual winner Hi Stranger and PB Lawrence winner Sierra Sue. That form ties in with the favourite in this race, Angel of Truth who was beaten in the Lawrence. I like him kept fresh to keep that dash in his racing, with my only query being where he lands in running from gate two. I would rather back him each-way than the favourite at a shorter quote.
2. Angel Of Truth was fantastic first-up in the Lawrence and will take a lot from that effort. He has shown good form first-up before, but lacked it second-up which is a concern, albeit you can't ignore a last start Group Two placing.
6. Rostropovich was good first-up off of a 16 week spell, and will be suited over further here. He is one who may put in a flat one second-up, but he is worth throwing in quaddies/exotics at long odds.
9. Tralee Rose probably did not run out a super strong 3200m in the Adelaide Cup, but she did impress with two wins over 2800m and 2600m prior. This will be too short for her, but it will also be too short for a lot of them.
Race 8 - 4.45pm Moët & Chandon Memsie Stakes Tips
2. BEHEMOTH won this race last year off the back of a Spring Stakes win which is the same platform used this time around. He is a two-time Group One winner at this track/trip, but interestingly both from inside gates, whereas he draws out here. That is my one question mark stopping me from declaring him as he may be found a pair further back than normal, although he is quite versatile.
11. Inspirational Girl is the exclamation mark in the race with nine wins from 12 starts and another three placings, including last start in the Railway Stakesd. Could potentially blow them away if near her top.
10. Tofane carries residual fitness from last prep where she won two group one races in Queensland. She is all class and is the obvious danger based on exposed form to Behemoth.
12. Sierra Sue proved she can win at WFA last start in the PB Lawrence , although I doubt that she will be getting the same dream run as she did last start.
Race 9 - 5.20pm Neds Filter Form Handicap Tips
Going with something to upset the favourite here in 12. KING MAGNUS who will be better suited back at Caulfield. He was too far back at Flemington when left with too much to do as Groundswell did as he pleased in front. That rival will have company in the lead this time. King Magnus has the race fitness and I would much rather be taking him each-way than the even money of Ayrton who may be left vulnerable fresh.
11. Ayrton will be the best horse in the race, but fresh in a race that I am expecting to be run a decent tempo leaves me worried as this is not his end goal. He draws wide, which will have to work to find a good spot in running, which are all just warning signs to me.
3. Frosty Rocks is one of the pace influences who can take Groundswell out of his comfort zone and make this a genuinely run race. He was good when winning a fortnight ago at Kembla and can give them something to catch.
1. Groundswell is very one dimensional and needs things to go his way, so happy to be avoiding him here and using him as a bunny for the likes of King Magnus and Ayrton to chase.
What time is the first race at Caulfield?
The first race at Caulfield jumps at 12.20pm.
Who is the best bet at Caulfield?
We are siding with Turaath as the best bet of the day at Caulfield.
How can I live stream the Caulfield races?
Visit our live streaming hub to see how you can live stream the Caulfield races.
Turaath and Artorius will run as our best bets of the day.
King Magnus will run as our value bet.
Best Bet: Turaath To Win $2.20 at Palmerbet - 11 Units
Next Best Bet: Artorius To Win $3.20 at Neds - 7 Units
Value Bet: King Magnus Each-Way $13.00 at Sportsbet - 2 Units