- Tuesday 18
- Wednesday 19
- Thursday 20
- Friday 21
- Saturday 22
- Sunday 23
- Monday 24
- Tuesday 25
- Wednesday 26
- Thursday 27
- Friday 28
Caulfield Betting Tips, Best Bets & Odds for April 17
- Caulfield hosts VOBIS owners day on Saturday
- Nine races will be run on the program
- The track is currently rated a Good 4
- Justin Darcy previews every race for the April 17 card
Mahamedeis is our best bet of the day at Caulfield (Getty)
Caulfield hosts a nine race program on April 17 and our free betting tips and best bets are available.
Our Caulfield best bets are provided by expert form analysts and tipsters, and a preview of Thursday's racing is below.
Caulfield Tips for April 17
Race 1 - 12.20pm Surewise VOBIS Gold Heath Tips
2. MAHAMEDEIS looks the best of the day after finishing third a fortnight ago behind Hang Man and Persan in the Easter Cup, a much stronger event than this. Two back, he was apparently wound up to win the Albury Cup but the track pattern played against him, so back to a fair Caulfield track where he will be able to swoop around them, as well as being the class horse of the race, the rest will need to step up a peg to beat him.
4. Fanciful Toff beat them easily as Bendigo last start which should have made it a hat-trick of wins after a luckless second placing at Moonee Valley on All-Star Mile day. He is the testing material to the favourite if there is any.
3. Declares War looks in career best form after a luckless run in the Albury Cup last start, but prior had won two country cups and a Stakes race at Morphettville.
1. Moonlight Maid is Group One placed, but she has not found her best in a little while now although did enough in the Bendigo Mile last start. That run can see her finish in the exotics here.
Race 2 - 12.55pm Neds Toolbox Handicap Tips
Very hard race this, but going with one down the bottom, 16. WITCHFULTHINKING who gets in with a 3kg claim from Matthew Cartwright, bringing her weight down to 51.5kg. Third-up she will be at peak fitness and the form around her is very good, last start finishing third to Miss Inbetween who has proven Stakes competitive while the winner from two back has subsequently been city placed and the third placed horse has beaten a handy one at Sale.
5. Mr Tipla looks the value with a great first-up record with three wins and two placings from seven goes. He is not getting any younger but he is a gun fresh.
8. Spring Choice was only just beaten by the very smart Shandy last start which looks well and truly good enough form for this race. Pikey hops aboard and he has barrier six at his disposal.
9. Dice Roll is the intriguing runner being a French Guineas place getter, but has not been seen in nearly two years. He clearly did not handle the surroundings when in Hong Kong, but looks smart from what we have seen at the trials. Will only improve.
Race 3 - 1.30pm The VOBIS Sires Guineas Tips
3. BEAU ROSSA will be hard to beat off the back of a big win at Sandown where he coasted home for a seven length win. Jamie Kah will stick on board as he steps up the mile which he looks as if he will relish every step. Only bad luck beats him in this one would think, but he is very short in the market.
6. Moral Force won well last start in what was a high rating race at Pakenham, and although the third horse has subsequently disappointed market expectations, it is hard to ignore the strong performance of this colt. He draws well and will have every chance to prove a factor as the enter the bend.
4. Black Penn was great two back in the Mornington Guineas when third behind Dom To Shoot and Let's Karaka Deel, form that should stack up here. The race shape last start did not suit but expect a better performance.
12. Miss Inbetween put the deserved victory on the board last start and now gets the bonus of Willy Pike on board.
Race 4 - 2.05pm IRT VOBIS Gold Mile Tips
8. SHANDY was a good thing beaten last start even though the margin was five lengths, she was knocked off her feet on the bend. She had won super prior to that and although is not favoured on the weight scale, her rating is not as high as her ability reflects. Jamie Kah hops aboard who can't do a thing wrong at the moment, so this could be the little breakthrough win that this mare gets.
1. Mr Quickie is the Group One horse of the race, bouncing back to his best last start when winning the Victoria Handicap here with the big weight from near last. The smaller field may not be as ideal as the speed will not be as genuine, but you can never deny class.
6. Galaxy Raider was great behind Mr Quickie, storming home to barely be beaten a nose on the line. But, we have come to terms now that he does these flashing light runs often and will struggle to get his nose in front.
2. So Si Bon was too classy in the March Stakes two back before running his usual honest race in the Doncaster Prelude last start. This is more suitable.
Race 5 - 2.45pm Avenel Equine Hospital VOBIS Gold Dash Tips
2. LA MEXICANA is a super filly who has a record of five wins and two placings from eight goes, with the only miss coming in the Group One Surround Stakes. She now comes back to Caulfield and the 1100m, both track and trip where she is unbeaten. She has now been kept fresh and the key is that Jamie Kah now goes back on who has ridden this girl at every start bar her fail.
5. Bella Nipotina has found some great form this prep, running a narrow second in the Inglis Dash, a third placing behind the classy Marboosha and and very good third in the Darby Munro to Isotope and Odeum. That is top class form, but she just can't seem to get her nose in front where it counts.
7. Capriccio was very good when beating Bella Nipotina in the Inglis Dash and I do feel the break between runs will suit. She was scratched behind the gates last time out, but this looks a more ideal race for her.
1. Shelby Cobra is a horse who could fly through the grades very quickly, putting his name in lights when winning very well at Flemington last prep. He failed subsequent to that but may have come to the end of his prep.
Race 6 - 3.25pm The Showdown Tips
It is hard to look past the top three in the market, so going with the Blue Diamond fourth place getter 1. FINANCE TYCOON who will appreciate this level. He has beaten Ingratiating (Diamond and Slipper place getter), Shaquero (Magic Millions winner) and should have gone much closer in the Millions when making a big run from the back of the pack. He certainly does not meet any superstars here and we know he runs out the 1200m strongly.
The question for the favourite 2. Starry Legend is if he can run out a strong 1200m. If he can, he will probably be the winner with his tactical advantage of leading them up, but if not, he will be left very vulnerable late for something to attack him in the final 100m. Has done nothing wrong this far into the prep, so he just needs to tick one more box.
10. Arcaded keeps winning, now with a record of three wins from four goes with the fail coming in the Blue Diamond. I do not rate the fillies that she is beating, but it is very hard to knock winning form coming into an event like this.
7. Tramontana had a big boom about him last prep but did run second in both outings. The first run was behind Daily Bugle who did not disgrace himself in Group One company last week, while the Sale second placing was behind Cadboll who looks to have ability.
Race 7 - 4.05pm Widden Victoria Bel Esprit Stakes Tips
5. SWORD OF MERCY was utterly dominant last start at Caulfield when sprinting superbly off a hot tempo, beating Diamond Effort and 10. Alfa Oro. She finds another race very suitable for her and with a soft gate and a drying track, things are only looking more positive for this bonny mare.
4. Prophet's Thumb has been missed early in the market as usual, but often has support on race day. She was too good in the Rubiton first-up before running well in both the Oakleigh Plate and Newmarket Handicap. Finds her right race here.
7. Rubisaki is the horse that could blow them away if she is back to her best, but may need the rain to come for that to happen with a near perfect record on rain effected ground. She is a deadset weapon when right.
1. Ancestry popped at Mornington when copping too much pressure up front, but was too good at Moonee Valley prior in a weaker event. He and Alfa will be at each other early which is the worry.
Race 8 - 4.40pm Spendthrift Australia VOBIS Gold Sprint Tips
6. FELICIA is very good fresh as she showed last prep when running second to Showmanship at Moonee Valley in what was a brave performance. She has trialled up super in prep for this race, so if she can find a spot without over working from the wide gate, is right in the hunt.
7. Broadwayandfourth is the value pick, running well first-up when tailed off from the rest of the field, only to finish three lengths from Sword Of Mercy. She will have come on in fitness and second-up last prep was sound, finishing second to our top selection in the How Now Stakes.
1. Laverrod has been very consistent since campaigning over here, culminating in a win last start in the Hareeba Stakes at Mornington. The break between runs looks ideal and he will prove hard to beat once again.
11. Paul's Regret has not missed the quinella fresh in four attempts, last prep finishing second to Probabeel in the Bellmaine which is of course elite form. This is a more competitive event than what she faced there but you can't leave her out.
Race 9 - 5.20pm Blue Gum Farm VOBIS Gold Distaff Tips
14. GOOD AND PROPER looks a nie bet to finish off the day due to pure consistency, coming off such a good run off a six week let-up at Bendigo. She only just missed but thats now four runs in a row where she has not missed the quinella. Love the Quantum Mechanic form from two starts back.
1. Mamzelle Tess is the best horse in the race if she shows up, but thats the question of whether she actually will or not. She was very heavily supported last start behind Quantum Mechanic in the Sunline Stakes but may have copped too much pressure in front. Prepared to forgive and let her have one more chance.
3. Great Duchess was not placed to her best last prep, running okay in both the Kensington Stakes and the Bellmaine. This is a much weaker event and both her fresh and Caulfield form read well when she is in her right race, which she now looks to be.
5. La Chevalee is a nice prospect heading into the winter months, but I do feel she needs it wet. That being said, she's done enough on dry ground to suggest a solid performance first-up here.
What time is the first race at Caulfield on?
The first race at Caulfield jumps at 12.20pm with the last event to be run at 5.20pm.
Who is the best bet at Caulfield?
We are siding with Mahamedeis in the opener as the best bet.
How can I live stream the Caulfield races?
Check out our live streaming hub to see how you can live stream the Caulfield races.
Mahamedeis and La Mexicana will run as our best bets of the day.
Witchfulthinking will run as our value play.
Best Bet: Mahamedeis To Win @110.00 at BetMGM - 20 Units
Next Best Bet: La Mexicana To Win @300.00 at Caesars (Sport) - 10 Units
Value Bet: Witchfulthinking Each-Way @1000.0 at PlaySugarhouse Sport - 3 Units